Sleep, Travel, and ADHD

I’m currently partway through a series of flights spanning many time zones and lasting roughly 24 hours.

It has been a long time since I’ve tried to operate on just a couple of hours of interrupted sleep. Holy crap. I’m trying to spend a 6 hour layover, and I have books, games, videos, internet, food, etc. And I can’t concentrate on anything for more than like 2 minutes. If I try watching a show, I end up pausing it after a few minutes as a wave of the nameless restlessness crashes over me and I have to do something, anything else.

And this is with my meds.

Sleep. It’s important.

1 Like

I hear you . . . Now that I’m awake! This morning I tried meditating (“10% HAPPIER” online subscription). And fell asleep 2 out of 2 times. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I just realized that the show I was trying and failing to watch was Childrens’ Hospital. The episodes are only 10 minutes long. Still couldn’t make it through. I hope I can get some sleep on my next flight. I have to drive on the other side of the road afterward.

1 Like

I’m really bad at sleeping while travelling. I take a bag full of things to entertain myself with on the plane as my hand luggage especially things I can do while tired. When I’m tired I tend to get really restless and frustrated when uncomfortable (I’m the last person you want sitting next to you on a long flight :smile:).
Before getting on the plane and during layovers I try to move around as much as possible so I don’t feel quite as restless when I get on the plane. I find that when I’m fidgety there is nothing that can entertain me for more than a few minutes so I tend to multitask. As for sleeping, I haven’t cracked that yet. I stay awake until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore and pass out.

1 Like

Having to travel from Australia to … anywhere I can only suggest that you factor in some nanna/power naps. The first time I had to drive in the USA I had an overnight from san diego to chicago 2300 to 0500 then an 1100 to 1230 down to nashville, hire a car drive to gm saturn plant. All I remember is hiring the car making it to my hotel room ringing to say i needed a power nap for an hour … Self presevation has been relatively strong in this one …

Re driving on other side of road, 1. Others will know because you’ll tend to be driving right on the edge of the road … 2. Watch out when you do a u turn, habit will have you facing trafic the instant you come out of it, my advice just check that the curb is closest to the passenger door, not your door.

By the time you read this you’re probably at your destination stay safe and take care. And let us know how you went.

2 Likes

I made it! In this case, they drive on the left, but the steering wheel is also on the left.

And yes, I hugged that curb the whole way. Having other cars to follow helps. The reverse traffic circle caught me off guard, but I didn’t hit anyone.

Also, the locals drive 2x the speed limit at all times, minimum.

US Virgin Islands, if you’re wondering.

1 Like

Most excellent. So youre in an anglofranco carabean homogiony. May the rest of your drives be uneventful and your trip be a success.

2 Likes

Best vacation ever! Snorkeling! Scuba! Turtles! Ruins! Angry geese!

2 Likes