Spent all of last week doing nothing. Who can relate?

career
adhdlife

So I gave myself a deadline to finish learning database and some other programming languages by the end of May. That was in February. Cut to last week and I still haven’t gone 10% into any of it. The fact that I was behind got me in a frazzled mood and then I unwound with a day of resting and rewatching game of thrones which became 7 days of watching game of thrones and charmed and staring into space and then beating myself up more for that then finally snapping out of it last night. Finally did some productive work today. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I relate so, so much. Massive well done for getting some work done today!! :tada:

2 Likes

Sounds all too familiar to me too, sometimes…:sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Good on you for getting something done today, though!:grin: Keep it up.:wink:

1 Like

I will. I’ll even push for more tomorrow.

1 Like

Good to know I’m not alone. Used to think I was just making excuses for laziness. Getting diagnosed makes life so much more meaningfully.

1 Like

This sounds so familiar…I set deadlines and create these intense programmes and schedules and time blocks etc …then get overwhelmed, frantic and end up eating my way through a toblerone bar while rewatching downton abbey (and Luther, and Scrubs) and the list goes on! How do you get work done ? I try to impose a list of 7 tasks a day, but generally get through 1 or less…

2 Likes

:grin::+1:
Good luck!

0 Likes

I have been rewatching grace anatomy, I don’t even know for how long. Like 2 months? Have no idea. Sense of time 0 to 10 mine is -1. But usually if I start watching or reading I have to finish! I become obsessed with that. Barely sleep or eat. I wish I could stop. I feel weak. No self control or will power.

5 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. I just have to finish that before I can do anything else. So now I just deleted all my movies from my system and will put them back once I’m done with this project I’m working on. I really hope it helps. I’ll let you know if it does.

1 Like

Way to go! I wish I could do that, I should. But right now I just don’t have enough will power to do that. I don’t know how to bring myself up to start doing small steps. But knowing that someone is doing it helps a little. So thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Honestly sounds like an executive function problem, Nancy…:sweat_smile: But yeah, also mixed with hyperfocus. It would be SO nice if we could choose what to hyperfocus on, but sadly not, hehe…:sweat_smile: But I noticed some change in both attention and executive function when I started medication. I started to be able to just ‘do’ stuff, not having to struggle to decide to do anything I wasn’t really interested in. So yeah, executive function issues more likely than just ‘lack of willpower’, I suspect…:sweat_smile:

0 Likes

This is how much I relate: :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman:

0 Likes

Yep. You are not alone. Same thing here.

0 Likes

I’d say you are most certainly not alone, and the system tells me at least two people posted in this thread as their first post (hi! Welcome :wave:). Which I interpret as ‘you did us all a favour admitting to one of the things we find really hard’, so thank you!

0 Likes

Omg, yes, this is my life too…!!!

I have the same thing, if I start watching a series I HAVE TO finish it, it takes over my life so easily!! I’m the most productive when I don’t watch anything, but it’s so hard to have the willpower to do that… I always fall back into thinking “I’ll just watch this one episode, it’s only 30 minutes/1 hour/whatever”, and three weeks and five seasons later I’ve barely got anything done… :sweat_smile:

And I’m also great at setting goals and making very ambitious schedules and plans how I’m getting everything done, then not actually following through on most of it…
I’ve noticed it does help though when I try to think of a big task as many little tasks. I recently started writing down everything I need to do in a notebook and putting a little box next to each thing that I can tick off when it’s done. But underneath all the big achievements I’ve also written down all the little steps I need to do on the way, so that I can check more boxes and feel like I’m achieving more even if I just get 10 minutes of work done in a day. :slight_smile: (For example, the little boxes could be things like: write an email to this and this person, think of a good name for your project, read one page of a book, etc)

2 Likes

I have done that so many times. But I’m happy that you got some things accomplished! It can be really difficult to do just the simplest tasks, so… Great Job!!!

1 Like

Totally agree! I found a good note block from Muji that actually comes with lines and a check box to the left, making it an automatic checklist!

Like this, but without the sticky, and with more pages in the Japanese version, all one colour.:

Recommend a lot! Only just saw this for the first time finiding the link above, but also looks interesting:

1 Like

I am one of them! My first post was here :grin: (hello and thank you :blush:)

1 Like