Stimulation crossover

Does anyone else ever get that annoying thing where your brain is in two halves, when you are feeling sensory overstimulated and want to hide away from all sound and sight, etc. But at the same time you really need some stimulation because you’re struggling with the lack of stuff going on around you? There seems to be no win win to this, I end up usually just playing music or watching a film and overstiumulating myself even more.

2 Likes

I’m more ADD than ADHD so I’m sorry I can’t relate exactly but it does sound frustrating… I’ve started using sensory toys (often used for Autism) to give my hands something to do. I have a rainbow coloured toy with popping bubbles it’s seNsorily really satisfying!

Have you ever done a craft like knitting or crochet, i knot friendship bracelets, they’re small, short projects, easy to do, but they require using a certain amount of concentration… i know some people who use it to calm down/distract, others who use it to put their energy into when they’re nervous….

So I dunno if any of these tips are things that might help you, I do know that when I’m really tired and my restless legs start up and want me to party it drives me bonkers, it’s the worst sleep deprivation thing, but that’s the closest I think I’ve come yo your need for more stimulation!

2 Likes

might help to read up on sensory diets. i don’t have a strict protocol but found it a helpful framework to think about.

1 Like

Hmm…“sensory diet”… interesting.

I’m not familiar with the term (at least, I didn’t recall it, but I may have heard it before). I looked it up, and I’m familiar with the concept, for sure. Both regarding autistic people and as an HSP (highly sensitive person) myself.

1 Like

i found this which looks interesting: Adults and Adolescents Toolkit | SPIRAL Foundation

1 Like

I definitely need to look more at the simulation information. My younger son (who just tuned 10) definitely has issues with tactile stimulation.

The kids wanted to make ooblek (a “non Newtonian fluid” made from corn starch and water), and he couldn’t touch it for more than 2 minutes before he had to withdraw to the next room. He said it felt too weird. (He also has issues with other skin sensations, as well as food textures.) Sharp sounds also get to him easily. He can’t stand the sound of fireworks or gunshots in real life, but isn’t bothered by the sounds coming from the electronic entertainment (TV, video games, YouTube videos).