Strategies (not only) for studying

Hi!
I am copying here this post which I made somewhere else. It is a summary of a few strategies that I find useful or that I have heard of and should help.

There are many strategies out there but it all takes effort. Avoidance is a big thing for me at the moment (I think that the role trauma may play here may be often underestimated in the ADHD community, just as is the role of ADHD among many therapists).

Strategies

• Time-tracking and timers:

• I have used many different apps in the past and now to track my time on different activities and stay aware of the time. It is important to incorporate rewards and free time because if you turn your responsibilities into a living hell, you will want to avoid them and no app will save you from this.

• I am currently using this app, which is not ideal because you cannot track progress on a task, but you can track unlimited activities and set gothe als and limits. The pro version also includes Pomodoro technique. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aloggers.atimeloggerapp&hl=en_GB&gl=US

• Register with disabilities if you haven’t already done so. You can get all sorts of support and I would recommend making use of it. You can also get free accessmind mapssoftware.

• Mind Maps: Notes in mind-maps do not require that much attention and it is easier to recognise what is important and integrate knowledge. I use Mind-manager because I have free access through my UNI.

• Planning and discipline/routine habits; SLEEP: This is an important point but it’s also where I keep failing. It is important to learn how long things take and plan based on your experience rather than what you think you should blongle to do and how ling it should take.

• Quiet study place, optimally somewhere else than where you relax.

• Physical activity and nutrition: Another one that I commonly regret and I always regret it. It makes a huge difference

• Self-care and mental health: . . .same

• Having the right motivation:
    It is important that you know what you are doing and why. You need to be studying for yourself and have some reason for doing it and find things that you enjoy. It is extremely difficult to keep doing something without doing it for yourself and it marks the difference between being happy and miserable.

Helpful courses:

These were just some things that help me to some extent and that are often recommended, but all of is also require a lot of energy and sometimes things don’t work as well in real life as they work in theory. I think it’s most important to be kind to oneself and maintain a positive attitude, everyone fails at times, including “moral” failures and it is important to keep positive about life. Productivity and success are not the most important things, important is that you enjoy what you are doing and find life meaningful.

1 Like

Love this.

1 Like

Here’s a Udemy course I’ve been taking.

This course is regularly $24.99 and currently $14.99.

The course instructor is Dave Crenshaw, an author and professional speaker best known for by his presence as a LinkedIn Learning instructor. He has ADHD, and he was one of the inspirations for me to finally seek an ADHD diagnosis. (His Udemy course is specifically designed for people with ADHD. His LinkedIn Learning courses are designed for anybody, ADHD or not.)

(I started this course about a month ago, but I’ve been busy with all the details of my pending move across the States, so I forgot to finish the course. I’m only 2/3 of the way through. I’m leaving on my move tomorrow.)

2 Likes

Good luck for tomorrow.

Thank you! I’ll put that course on my waiting list and, hopefully, the waiting time is not as long as the one for healthcare in some countries :upside_down_face: (Nothing personal, just a random association)

Learning you are on the move, I hope your journey takes you to a better place!

1 Like