Struggling to make sales calls for work... HALP!!!

Hey Brain Fam!

I have been trying to figure out a way to get through wall of awful toward making phone calls. If i had just started making calls this morning, I would have been done by now, and as of yet i have made one call.

When I pull up the info i need to prepare for the call it’s literally like i’m hitting a brick wall. My brain won’t let me go there. But i am now sole income provider for my family. This is a perfect storm causing a ton of anxiety which in turn builds the wall higher.

Anyone have any strategies to overcome this? I’m trying not to hulk smash, but it’s all that has worked in the past… not helpful long term though

HALP!

I’ve heard people suggest a few things.

• Break it down into smaller tasks. Maybe plan one call at a time. Focus less on all the calls to be made. Make one call, and then reward yourself with something like a walk, a youtube song, or something else small and brief.

• Exercise first. Going for a walk or doing some sort of exercise can help stimulate the brain and the chemicals that can help aid in focus and concentration. If you’re not on medication, this can be a good shortcut to help a bit. I know it has helped me in the past.

• Identify the barriers. What is preventing me from making these calls? Is it anxiety? Anxiety about what? Is that anxiety reasonable or distorted? What ways can you challenge those thoughts? Or, maybe you just don’t have the motivation and you’re procrastinating. Asking yourself, what are the consequences of not doing this now?

• “Should I do the thing.” That worksheet resource provided on the HowToADHD site can be useful in planning a task too.

Ultimately motivation is hard. They say in treatment that “action comes before motivation.” Once the rock starts moving it’s easier for it to stay moving. If you can get the first call or two out of the way, maybe the rest will follow. If not, be patient with yourself. You can’t do it all at once, and you can’t force yourself to be someone you’re not. It takes effort and patience, and support from people around you.

1 Like