Taking a break from vyvanse/elvanse

Hi,
A few weeks ago I started to feel like my medication wasn’t having the same benefits it has had for the last year, also I was worried it might be making me more anxious so I thought I’d try a weekend off. It didn’t work too well and the first day I felt really depressed and impulsive so was back on them the next day and felt better straight away.
The problem is this week I’ve not been too well, maybe I’ve got a stomach bug as im feeling nauseous but also axious and depressed and I haven’t been able to eat anything since yesterday. So my dilemma is, I don’t want to stop taking my meds incase I get really low and impulsive again but also concerned about taking meds without eating and potentially getting really anxious, dizzy etc. I was thinking maybe just taking a half dose?

I’m not sure I’ll hear back from the professionals before the weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any info on temporarily stopping taking lisdexamfetamine?

2 Likes

I am not taking it so long yet, but I really have the feeling I could not stop. It is crazy, I feel better, but I also feel like once the medication stops working in the evening I am will without any energy and stop functioning. In the morning I feel trashed till the medication kicks in. it is like running on fuel, which is kind of scary.
So no, I can not share experiences, only in the beginning after two weeks (where I started and then stopped because I was so anxious I got depressed) but this was still starting time and does not really count.
I understand why you back up and I love to hear about other experiences. Me myself will not do it at them moment. I am wishing you well.

1 Like

I think I’ve generally just been more depressed lately and I haven’t taken any breaks but the other week forgot to take my medication. Again I got really depressed really quickly. I know Elvanse isn’t meant to be addictive but I’m worried I’ve developed a dependancy. Or could it just be masking a deeper underlying depression? It doesn’t last long so my GP is reluctant to prescribe antidepressant medication but I’m a bit concerned about missing doses in the future. I’d be interested to know how many people take Elvanse/vyvanse every day and if they’ve experienced severe depression if they missed a dose?

2 Likes

It is more than a year, but I still answer.

My depression got more severe, but it does not get “extra bad” when I forget to take medication at that day.

I have the feeling since the brain fog and the “jumpiness” clears up I can see the underlying depression better. Than during the day when I get a lot done and when I am in working mode it is okay.
It is the evenings which “killed” me (not yet but it felt like it)
So I ended up adding a medication, or better actually two.
I take melatonin at nights so I get some sleep and my mind stops circling. I take agomelatin which makes me sleep. (Gave me a bunch of dreams which sheded a new light on everything.) For I Actually am coping also with some PTBS right now and was destroyed from the sleep and the insights in the morning. I ended up taking even one more medication I wake up very early in the morning and than I take it right away and put the Vyvanse/Elvanse later after breakfast. This is actually an antidepressant I am taking.
Sorry this was so much about me. I spare the name of the antidepressant for this can#t be a recipe.
To get back to your question, yes for me it was two different things. The Adhd as a modus operandi and a deeper underlying depression which was masked by the ADHD coping mechanisms. I do have trouble eating though. I used to be a very big eater and I eat tiny portions now. But also since I sleep more and am not moving like a ball in a pinball machine I burn less energy, so it is still fine.

1 Like