Talking About ADHD in Therapy

I’m just curious, how do fellow brains talk about ADHD in your therapy sessions if you do see a counselor or therapist?

Most of the time my therapist and I talk about life things going on such as anxieties, stressors, mood, etc. We haven’t really formally tackled ADHD as part of that picture since the diagnosis.

Do you all use the therapy as a sort of coaching? Or does the therapist help educate you on ADHD?

Wondering if I should start making ADHD more a part of the work we’re doing, but I don’t know how it might be helpful in session.

5 Likes

My therapy sessions have lately been turning into coaching. I find it very helpful, but that might be because I was finding the previous approach less helpful.

We would previously talk about anxiety/stressors/mood, but I have a number of people I can talk to about those things and I’m already familiar with many of the psychological concepts. So that element was something that I didn’t have a large need for.

We were also trying to work on changing habits, which I very much need, but the plans we made kept hitting obstacles related to my potential ADHD symptoms.

Once we cleared up where things were getting stuck, we started specifically tackling those obstacles and I think the end result seems somewhat like ADHD coaching.

I describe weak areas, we talk about how they show up in daily life and then we brainstorm workarounds.

3 Likes

What are some examples of areas that you’ve brought up?

1 Like

So far we’ve worked on my difficulty with daily routines and are currently looking at my difficulty stopping/starting/switching tasks

Previously we had been having a lot of misunderstandings about what my actual problems were. To try to communicate I made my psychologist a giant mind map with the things I’m awful at, my compensating strategies (good and bad), and the things I’m amazing at. Now we are working our way around that map.

It was a really interesting project to try to visualize all those different elements of myself and my life and the ways they connected to one another.

3 Likes

Oooh. I’ve never made a mind map. Any good tips on that?

1 Like

I started with 3 lists:

1. Problems (eg prospective memory, fear of rejection)
  2. Workarounds (eg alarms/checklists, people pleasing)
  3. Strengths (eg intelligence, stubbornness)

I wrote the items on sticky notes (a different color for each list) and rearranged them to put related things together. My workarounds are always connected to one of my problems and they often connect to one of my strengths as well. I also gave the items a score to show which things had more or less effect on my life

4 Likes

If you are up for it put the term MIND MAP in a search engine.

You can do one manually or with software (free and paid)

2 Likes