Teachers Who Just Do Not Understand

Why do teachers act so mean around me its just so unfair and it makes no sense to understand…WHY??? AND I COULD RANT ON AND ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON AND ON AND HOW IT IS SO UNFAIR AND HOW THEY JUST DONT UNDERSTAND ME!!!

1 Like

A suggestion would be that you’re not very good at communicating with them in a way that they understand. But seeing as you’re so young, it’s also natural that you don’t have lots of experience with different kinds of communicating yet, so it’s a bit odd (them being teachers and all) that they don’t try to be a bit more understanding too…

What happend, though, to create such a bad situation, communication-wise? What is it they don’t understand? Maybe if you share it (not personal details or anything, just the general idea), we can help you figure out a way to communicate with them better, or figure out how to make it easier for them to understand?:blush:

2 Likes

Nice suggestion. Another is, that the teacher may simply be inadequate for your needs. It’s a school-teacher’s responsibility to learn about a variety of learning disabilities, a wide range of potential psychological differences among the various students who will be assigned to them, and a large number of coping strategies and intelligent pedagogical methods for dealing with all those different types of people. Teachers aren’t there in the classroom to simply impose the demand that all the students acquiesce to the teachers’ image of what the biological and psychological make-up of an ideal student ought to be. Teachers are there in the classroom to aid each and every different type of student in becoming his or her own best version of himself or herself. Teachers who think otherwise are very poor indeed at teaching.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, learning about disabilities and how to assist and help students who have them isn’t really part of most school teachers training, or even something expected of them for the most part. That’s fostered off on the Special Ed teachers and aids/assistants.

A lot of teachers don’t understand because it’s not something they’ve had explained or have ever encountered. I had to explain learning disabilities to a teacher who had spent the last 10 years teaching in a private school that had no special ed program. Only after getting the explanation did she actually stop and start to think about how she was treating her students…

If there are any adults in the school that you feel do understand you (especially any in the Special Ed department or similar), go and talk to them about what you’re experiencing and see if they can come up with any solutions, or go talk to the teacher on your behalf. A lot of times the best way to get someone to understand is to find or build a bridge, where someone can take your experiences and frustrations and translate it into something that the teacher will understand and make that connection.

3 Likes

Most teachers aren’t taught this, and aren’t expected to handle it either. What you’re describing sounds like a school full of highly educated, special-trained teachers with extensive post-graduate training, which would be a damn expensive private school. Public schools don’t have the funds for that kind of training, sadly, but have to learn on-the-job, and that’s not always easy, when classes are often way too big to handle unless all kids are well-behaved.

2 Likes

Thank you and i could RAGE on and on

0 Likes

Let us know if we can help you explain things to a teacher in a better way, so they don’t act as unfairly as you feel they do now.:wink::blush:

3 Likes

Best to get your rage out in a safe place so that it doesn’t pop out when you’re trying to talk to the teacher. So if you think it’d help with processing or just getting your emotions out of your head, get it all out here, or one to one with a friend! Then you can pick through it after you’ve calmed down and try and find the parts that aren’t just emotion, but are things that can be acted on. (IE, rather than just “I HATE THAT YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND!!” things more like “I hate when you say that I’m acting like a child. That’s really hurtful and makes it harder for me to focus on anything other than what I’m feeling because of those words.” )

Also, you can try and brainstorm a list of what you’d like the teacher to do differently. The more specific you can be, the better chance that something can be changed.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Yeah, fair point, FranB and Marodir and others, maybe I’m dreaming about my ideal educational institutions of magic-land. But at least we can still apply to this situation my overall sentiment – that the teacher really SHOULD ideally understand many conditions, and SHOULD work WITH rather than against each and every individual student’s predilections. Taking that concept to heart, maybe the troublesome teachers in this thread can be addressed with more helpful and caring approaches. Maybe they just need to learn? Perhaps KateADHD can make a copy to give to them the cheat-sheets and the list of zombie-myths-about-ADHD-that-won’t-die and other print-outs from these websites and YouTube channels, and so on? The other suggestions are also great – speaking to someone in the Special Ed department, or an administrator who DOES understand, asking them for help with the teachers who don’t; and, not venting the anger in an unsafe or counter-productive manner.

Steps in the right direction …

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t know of a lot of middle-school teachers who would take teaching advice and be ‘taught’ by one of ‘their kids’ any more than parents are willing to be taught by their young teen kids. That’s why external help is useful. As opposed to merely saying they “SHOULD” understand. And everyone SHOULD be a millionaire, but is stating that in any way helpful? Not really. Deal with reality, not what your dreamstate is. There are many things we can do to help in REAL LIFE, that will push things in the right direction, rather than just pushing blame onto the teachers when it’s not their fault either, since the entire system isn’t set up for it.

0 Likes

In general all my teacher’s where very kind and understanding with the exeption of my 2003 grade 5 English teacher. I feel your pain. I can remember the frustration and the fact that she the just to give a flying flea. It is sad that people like that is still not informed in a time of information it is sad that some teachers are not teachable.

0 Likes

Yeah, it’s near-to-impossible, I agree. Didn’t mean to sound like I was saying the problem wasn’t with the teacher or that it was either excusable or unimportant. Sorry if I wasn’t sounding sympathetic! My suggestions, feeble as they were, were offered just in hopes of hammering home the obvious FACTS AND REALITY about ADHD into the brain of the resistant and wrong-headed teacher. Humph. I’m not familiar with school educational situations, in fact – I don’t have kids, and have been out of the “school system” (aside from universities) for twenty years, and didn’t know what ADHD was when I was attending school, so, I can’t claim to have any knowledge or authority to talk about it. Just trying to offer suggestions and help. Hope it can be worked out. :slight_smile:

0 Likes