The "I am not hungry anymore" thread.

I have realized that after I started on my meds, I do not get hungry nor full. This thread is hopefully gonna help all of us who struggles with the problem of not getting hungry.

What I did was download an app called My Fitness Pal that I can log food into in an easy way and that helps me see that I need to eat more.

I still struggle to eat when I am not hungry, I don’t like do force myself. I made some oatmeal muffins that I have for breakfast and are looking into more recipes that are interesting.

If you want to try the Oatmeal muffins, here is the recipe:

• 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 2 dl oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1.5 dl milk
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 0.5 teaspoon bakingpowder
  • 0.5 teaspoon vanilla powder
  • 0.5 teaspoon salt

Filling: dried berries, nuts, seeds or dark chocolate.

How:
Miks all the ingredients together and let it swell for 10 minutes. Divide into muffinliiners and bake at 200*c for about 20min.

Yeah, lots of ADHD meds suppress your appetite. I’m on Vyvanse, but I’ve been on Ritalin, Adderall, or Dexadrine in the past. When I was on the other three, I had serious appetite supression, like it wasn’t just that I wasn’t hungry, but that I actively did NOT want to eat. In college, when I was on Dexadrine, I lost a serious amount of weight because I was eating no breakfast, an ice cream bar for lunch, and a ramen soup for dinner. At work I would keep carrots in my smock and just munch on them continuously. It wasn’t really healthy. LOL.

But when I’m not on my meds, I have a tendency to binge eat. I mean, I still don’t really eat breakfast, and I’ll be super good and eat a healthy portioned salad for lunch, but once I get home in the evening it’s like a free for all. I can’t stop eating stuff, and I only eat stuff that I’m craving, my “comfort” foods so to speak, not stuff that’s good for me, and I can’t seem to tell when I’m not hungry any longer.

I find that my Vyvanse now doesn’t destroy my appetite like the other meds did. It just seems to make my brain aware of my actual hunger or satisfaction signals that my body sends. At lunch I’m able to eat, but I don’t eat as large of portions because I can tell when I’m satisfied now. It also allows helps my brain not focus so much on the food I want to eat, or the emotions that make me want to eat, I’m not really sure. But I find that even if I start eating one of my former trigger foods now, I can often take only one bite and realize, “hey, I’m not really hungry right now. I don’t need to eat this. I got to taste this food, and now I can put it away.” It’s a huge change. (Side note: Apparently another use for Vyvanse is treating people with Binge Eating Disorder, so I guess it all makes sense.)

It’s nice to hear that you get hungry without the urge to over-eat! Whoop!

I lost a few kg the first month before I started tracking what I eat. My weight is stable now and my mood is a bit more stable. I get cranky when I don’t eat.

Without my meds I tend to eat all the time, so eating less is not a bad thing all together but I don’t want to lose too much weight :sweat_smile:

I’ll be honest. I was off of meds for about 10 years, and I gained a lot of weight. Being obese has just added to my already low self-image problems and my shame that I can’t be as active with my son as I think I should be. I was excited to get back on meds not just to clear my brain up, but also to take advantage of the appetite supression side effect.

Sorry to hear about how the weight gain has affected you. It’s not easy, my mother was obese during most of my childhood and I know it’s tough. How are you doing so far on the meds?

Well enough. The side effects have eased a lot in the last 6 months, so I have to actually watch what I eat instead of relying on the appetite suppression, but as I said earlier, the meds DO allow me to think clearly about whether I’m actually hungry or just bored or tired or sad, and i can more easily choose not to eat badly.

I’ve lost about 20 lbs so far. Not a lot for 6 months, but at least it’s in the right direction. I need to exercise more, which would also help my brain, but it feels like I don’t have the time.

I am in college and although I find that my medication not only suppresses my hunger but makes me feel queasy enough to not want to eat sometimes. Although I still am working on taking better care of myself, I have picked up some tips in order to try to eat more consistently and stay healthy

Appetite-Suppressing Medication Tips:

1. Take your medication a little later in the morning or at least after breakfast

• I do not recommend this for everyone if your doctor tells you to take it at a specific time, but i realized that i was starting to crash in the early afternoon from taking my meds too early anyways so I started to eat breakfast more before my 8:30 am classes and take my meds after I eat or after class so that I eat before the appetite suppressant kicks in.
    • On days when I don’t eat breakfast, I am usually a little more hungry for lunch and so I will still eat stuff if I take my medication before, but I sometimes try to take it right before in order to make sure that I get a good sized meal in, or take it right after if I am eating an early lunch and it’s not too late in the day
  2. try to keep a consistent lunch time, whether you eat breakfast or not

• I am not always one to eat breakfast but even if I do and I take my medication before lunch, I still try to go to lunch and at least grab a small bite, like half a sandwich or descent snack, even if I am not hungry at all or even a little queasy. This helps me to just keep a consistent schedule, and I know that even if I have a descent breakfast at 8:30, and I am not hungry around 11:30 for lunch, I am not going to be eating again until at least around 4. So even if I am not hungry I need to put something small in my system to keep me going until later.
  3. don’t feel bad about binging a little at the end of the day

• On days that I am not hungry at all or just not eating enough in general, I am usually very hungry towards the end of the day when my meds wear off. Although people say its not good to eat before bed, I would rather have a big dinner or snack after dinner in order to make up for the calories that I did not get earlier in the day than worry about the possible problems of it affecting my sleep. You need a minimum number of calories a day to feed your brain and body so don’t feel bad about eating more at night when you’re hungry in order to keep up with your calories. It is obviously not ideal, but so is going to bed hungry
  4. Eat nutrient rich/ filling/ energy foods to make up for not eating as much

• this should be obvious but if you don’t eat as much then make sure that when you do eat you are putting good things into your body. Eat healthy food like fruits and veggies or filling food like protein and grains when you know that you wont be hungry later. This is probably a good idea for breakfast especially. Eat some bacon and eggs with toast to keep you running most of the whole day, even when you’re not hungry later, instead of sugar rush cereals
  5. Carry a snack at all times like a granola bar

• this helps you to eat when you are not super hungry because snacking can be quick and mindless. It is also good if you realize you are having a bit of blood sugar or med crash towards the end of the day because i heard that eating a snack or a drink like gatorade when you’re working can help you to focus by giving your body a boost.

I hope these tips help some other people :slight_smile:

While I was on meds, there wasn’t the absence of hunger - I knew very well when I was hungry. But my brain just didn’t consider it important or a priority anymore to actually eat, especially when I was hyperfocused on a task I was enjoying or something with a deadline. So I’d have to coax myself into eating anything - usually pasta with cheese, or a granola bar, or something small and not very nourishing like that. And I want to work in the food industry eventually, so this was really not great in terms of developing my palate or experimenting with new flavors! I lost about 25 pounds over the course of two years, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but I’m a very petite person to begin with, so you can really tell when my weight has changed. I found that eating lots of small snacks throughout the day was helpful, as was having granola bars scattered around my office and car.