the life hack for When your dishes pile up

so I have an aversion to some chores and well I’m working on triggers to get me to attempt those tasks for short periods of time, it doesn’t always work; however I only recently found out that these are even an option, but your gonna want to search “Dish Basin Collapsible with Drain Plug Carry Handles” and well it doesn’t really solve the issue it does allow me to reclaim my sink if/as needed and then fill it back after I am done… so anywho have a good day :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hello there @Fuzzy_Wazzie , and welcome to the HowToADHD forums!

Dishes are a constant battle in my house. (I don’t get enough help from the rest of my family to keep up with them.)

I’ve done something similar to the life hack you mentioned, by putting the silverware and all of the small dishes into the biggest bowl or pan to be washed.

Really, I just need to make it a daily habit for me and an expectation for my family that I’ll just do the dishes the same time every day. (It’s my kids’ shared responsibility to put the dishes away once they are dry.)

2 Likes

My opinion: the best way to survive doing dishes is not allowing them to pile up. Ate something - cleaned a single dish. Quick and easy while it’s still hot.
A little bit of discipline right now is lot easier than great dopamineless frustration later.

5 Likes

I have a great tip!

The only thing that has helped me with the issue of piling up dishes, is to only have available the smallest amount of dishes I can handle. For example, right now, me and my roommate just have 3 plates, 3 cups, 3 glasses, 3 bowls, and so. This means that if I want to use something and I haven’t done the dishes, I will probably have to wash it anyways.

(Note: I have more dishes for when I invite people over for dinner, but it’s more difficult to reach those dishes than to wash a plate or a spoon)

3 Likes

I already look at Space_Ivan comment, and that was the only way for me to fix that problem and actually having a sink completely free and clean 24/7. Clean your dish and glass immediate, the more it piles up, hardest it gets.

Dishes are my worst enemy, especially when they are not stacked “properly” in the sink. When the dirty dishes (w/ all the leftovers) pile up, they get even harder to do. I don’t like the sight and feeling of touching the gross stuff so I make sure to have rubber gloves, and I hate it even more when they’re just carelessly piled on top of each other with the utensils all over the place.

When the dishes start to pile up, I would usually pretend they’re not there even though I have to pass by every time I go to the toilet (I have a habit of drinking too much water so I have to go often). Our kitchen is small and when I have to cook, I would need to clear everything in the sink first. Which makes me lose the motivation to cook and just order take out. Then more dishes will pile up because I dont like eating out of meal cartons. It will be a never ending cycle until I decide to put on the gloves and wash them first with water, gather the gross leftovers, and stack the plates with the biggest one at the bottom, and only then can I wash then. You can definitely see it takes a long time to get there.

The only hack that worked best for me is to wash them right after I ate, so they don’t pile up. It’s not perfect, but it really reduced the stress I usally have to go through.

I have a dishwasher so I avoid having to wash 99% of dishes by hand. That should mean the dishes never pile up next to the sink. Instead, it creates a new problem of needing to empty the clean dishes out of the dishwasher.

I’ve recently been building a new habit of washing dishes twice a day, instead of once every 2 or 3 days. I’m so proud of myself for doing so. It takes much less time (or at least send like it, even if I’m washing dishes more often).

1 Like