This one's for Jessica -- where do you get your information from?

Hi Jessica!

I was wondering where you find all of the information that you put in your videos, and more importantly, how you went about searching for and finding that information? I am looking to start preparing for counseling school over the next year or so, and want to fill my brain with as much relevant information as possible. I’m interested in reading academic and scientific papers in addition to popular psychology and other works meant to be digested by the lay-person.

Thank you so much for creating so many helpful videos for all of us and for building such a loving, supportive community of brains!

4 Likes

Hi Robin! :smiley:

It just so happens that I am Jessica’s Head of Research, so the research for her newer videos comes from me mostly. :blush:

I can recommend starting a typically broad search on Google Scholar, which works like normal Google, but focused on scientific literature. If you have a university or library VPN that grants you access to journals, all the better! If you don’t, you might not have free access to a lot of articles - maybe ask your friends at college/university or check your local library.
Google Scholar might cover your needs already, but if not, there’s also websites such as PubMed, ScienceDirect etc. I’ll link a few below this post :wink:

How to go about the search depends on what you’re looking for. E.g. when you’re looking for ADHD interventions, try including all possible synonyms for both ADHD (i.e. attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, hyperkinetic disorder, ADD, ADHD, attention disorder etc.) and intervention (i.e. intervention, training, counseling, therapy, neurofeedback, help, program etc.) to really get as many related articles as possible.
When it comes to selecting your actual literature, always check that your source is from a peer-reviewed scientific journal (e.g. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience) and not commercial media (e.g. ADDitude magazine).
If you are reading a review, you can see if the bibliography lists original articles you might wanna read. If you’re reading an original study, check the sample size and methodology. Bibliography lists of original studies can also include useful references, so check those if you wanna know more about that particular topic. I suppose though, for the purpose of learning about ADHD, reviews are more comfortable to read.

If you’re on the Discord (access via Patreon), you can also always post in the #research channel there. People swap articles and discuss research there quite often, plus you almost always find someone who can access that article you might not be able to access yourself.

I’m also always looking for support for my research team, which I coordinate on the Discord :wink: I can always use people with experience in reading scientific literature, to help me select articles of good quality for upcoming videos.

If you have any other questions, let me know :blush: Oh, and since this is your first post: Welcome to the Tribe! :heart:

Love, V.

https://scholar.google.com/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
https://link.springer.com/

4 Likes

Worth looking at two studies published this year.
One looked at estimated life expectancy in childhood ADHD that persisted into adulthood. It was published by Dr Russell Barkley and colleagues. It provides some valuable insight into the seriousness of properly managing ADHD but also the main areas that contribute to the gap in estimated life expectancy (behavioural disinhibition a.k.a. impulse control is a major factor).

The other study published this year looked at an acute bout of moderate intensity exercise in adults with ADHD. There have also been a couple of previous studies looking at acute bouts of moderate intensity aerobic exercise. Worth noting they tend to improve measures of inhibitory control/impulse control, however, these are not training studies (involving a training intervention over several weeks or months) and are limited in the exercise parameters they have used.

@Vitea I study exercise physiology and have previously contacted Jessica in the past. I would love to contribute to the research team if you are willing or interested.

1 Like