Tics -- Looking for advice

Anybody else struggle with tics? I hear that they’re more common with ADHD, particularly if you take Adderall like I do. I mostly get facial/head/neck twitches. What do you guys do to help with them?

In case it helps someone else, the best thing I’ve found so far is pressure therapy. My friend sewed little bags and filled them with about 5 lbs of rice each. She gave them to me as a gift, and I stack them on my head. Weird as it sounds, if I can distribute the weight to press on the pressure points, my headache and tics melt away. But it’s only temporary, and I can’t always put rice on my head (at work, for example?), so I’m looking for another solution.

Have you been on any other ADHD medication or just Adderall? Because it sounds like you’re having some adverse effects, and as far as I know you’re not supposed to get effects like that unless you have Tourette’s as well (I do, but as you get older tic’s can reduce, and Ritalin doesn’t usually make them worse anymore after your teens), unless your Adderall dose is higher than it ‘needs’ to be, so you have excess dopamine making you twitchy, I believe. (Not sure how coherent that sentence was, sorry…)

Maybe discuss it with your doctor, if you haven’t tried Ritalin or one of the others before. Either way, having Tourette’s, I know what it’s like to live with tics, so you have mt sympathies, and I hope you find a solution…!

Thank you! I should talk to my doctor about it, you’re right. Just afraid of switching meds, especially since I’m about to start a new job…

1 Like

Yeah, I get that the transition might be… problematic, but employers don’t usually care about methyl phenidate as much as amphetamines, at least as far as I’m aware. But obviously depends on the employer.

1 Like

I was reading your post and the 1st thing that popped into my mind was
“headband! Put! Weighted! Headband! On! Head! “
So yeah :joy: I don’t know how helpful that is. but maybe a weight that looks like an accessory would work? Or having something tight that puts pressure on your pressure points??

1 Like

I work at a school board and one of the things we have to offer kids is a weighted vest they can wear while working. It looks kind of like a cargo vest with weighted pouches put in all the pockets. Maybe something like that?