Tinnitus and noise Sensitivities

Does anyone else struggle with Tinnitus ( ”The symptoms of tinnitus include a noise in the ears, such as ringing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, or whistling; the noise may be intermittent or continuous“)

I never realized how bad the ringing in my ears was but then I realized that this one thing I hear is Tinnitus and how bad it is in my head. Earlier during my Geometry Class I got bad ringing in my ears and i literally had to cover my ears and started to tear up and cry in the front of my class (No one had noticed though) The teacher had seen and had me go walk around to figure out what was wrong.

2 Likes

no but that sounds horrible. (sorry that that happens)

2 Likes

also how old are you?
(just wondering)

2 Likes

14 turning 15 soon

2 Likes

im 14 and won’t be 15 until 2022

2 Likes

Persistent ringing is definitely concerning. Even more so if there’s pain with it, too. Make sure to tell your parents.

I only get ringing in my ears occasionally, and it’s usually due to pressure because I have to pop my ears.

(At 46, I’ve never had tinnitus. I learned to be careful with my hearing as a kid, because up until I was 12 years old any loud sounds caused me piercing pain.)

I’ve met many people who have tinnitus:

• For many of them, it was due to damage from loud sounds (e.g. lots of loud music, loud working conditions like in a factory or the military, engaging in shooting sports without hearing protection)
  • For some of them, it was due to a congenital medical condition
  • For a few, it was caused by illness

It’s definitely worth consulting a doctor about.

2 Likes

BTW- I think it’s great that you guys are peers in this forum. I doubt that you will relate much to my life experiences, but you will probably relate with each other pretty well.

2 Likes

True we can’t relate but we can learn!

2 Likes

yes so true

2 Likes

I certainly hope so!

One of the best pieces of advice that my parents gave me when I was a teenager was about learning from others’ experiences.

(Literally, what they said was: “Watch your friends. They’ll make mistakes, so you don’t have to.” They were half right, because I had friends that made some really bad choices, which brought on them some serious consequences. I also had friends that made much better choices than me about school and career, so I should have been watching them, too.)

3 Likes

I’ve had mild tinnitus for a while but it’s been getting worse in one ear lately which I’d hoped was just due to lockdown stress, but now I’ve also started to notice some hearing loss. My doctor has referred me to an ENT but the waiting list is pretty long. It’s not even that loud yet but sometimes I feel like sticking something long and sharp in my ear :joy:

3 Likes