Tips for getting to work on time.

I am notoriously a few minutes late to work, basically every day! What are some tips and tricks to deal with this?

2 Likes

For me:

• Make a goal of getting good sleep. I usually start to wind down around 9:00 PM or 9:30 PM, with the goal of being asleep by 11:00 PM. I use an option on my phone that dims certain colors after sundown to help reduce the activation of the light.
  • Setup as much as you can the night before. I pre-set my coffeemaker, layout my clothes, and pack my bag the night before. That way all I have to do in the morning is shower, get dressed, and go.
  • Plan extra time for travel hiccups. I don’t have to be to work until 8:00 AM, but I leave my apartment every morning before 7:00 AM. My commute is 20-25 minutes, so I have a buffer of time. If I get caught in traffic, or if I’m running behind in the morning, I have room to spare.
  • Set alarms. I make sure to use my phone as my alarm, but I have a type of alarm that gets louder over time in case I oversleep.

Other tips:

• Time yourself with daily activities to see how long it actually takes. Maybe you think getting a shower takes 10 minutes, but in reality it’s 20.
  • Set multiple alarms. Sometimes it takes several to wake up.
  • If you’re on medication, set an extra alarm and take it earlier than usual. Maybe 30 minutes before you really actually want to wake up. This way it gets going in your system faster, and you can be more on task in the morning.
  • Try to minimize distractions. Don’t turn on the TV or music.
  • Pack a breakfast instead of eating at home.
  • Track your success and also what barriers you face. Maybe you arrived 5 minutes late one day, 10 minutes another, but were on time the rest. What was different about the days that you were late?

Hopefully you find things that work. Good luck!

4 Likes

If this doesn’t work it’s okay it doesn’t work for everyone but set your clock ahead of time by like 3 mins then every time you look at the time it’s 3 mins ahead tricking u into thinking that your going to be late when in reality your early.

1 Like

Cell phone alarms , lots and lots of alarms. I set one for when I need to do stuff and when I should be leaving the house.

1 Like

Have the first thing you do at your work place be a fun thing you want to do. But you only get to do it if there is enough time before work. Grab a coffee, read a web comic, check in on an idle game, look at cat videos. I find that it is significantly easier to get myself to my workplace if I’m not thinking about having to work. This builds in the extra lead time but with a reward, also employers/managers like it when you’re early even if you not working yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes