UK diagnosis

So I already know the long list of trying to get a diagnosis on the NHS. I applied when I was doing my masters (International student) and eneded up on a 2 year waiting list.
I’ve been back home and gotten a diagnosis and been on medication for thr past 1.5 years.
In September I’m going back to the UK for my PhD and don’t know what to do? Does anyone know anyway I could use the diagnosis I got in my country for there to speed it up?(other than going private)

2 Likes

Hi, I think that ADHD assessments have been on hold since the lockdown started, as non-urgent service, so your waiting time is likely to be longer now for the NHS services.

Ideally it would be best to have both options available to you, not sure of the best way to acheive this.

One option I suggest that you ask for a either specific letter or copies of your notes from your current doctor detailing diagnosis, treatment history and current medication regime. Hopefully you will then be able to have your diagnosis recognised by NHS, hope for a fast-track referral and then be able to have your meds to be issued in the UK.

Second option assuming you have a repeat prescription, maybe look into continue to have your meds issued in your home country and then have them posted to you, I’m not sure whether this is legal, may get confiscated in the postal system, or the the feasibility of this option either if you have already asked your doctor for a referral letter to take abroad.

Assuming you are using stimulant meds, check what allowance you are able to bring into the country, they are Class C controlled drug here in the UK, I think limits on how much you can carry cross-border will be tight.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll definitely talk with my doctor. I don’t think I can get them posted. Getting meds here also has very strict rules and laws around it. Especially because its abused by students. (I hate it)

1 Like

The best option then is to get a letter from your doctor and as much supporting eveidence as possible to try and fast track your way to treatment once you get here. Understand that may not be easy. I’m assuming that your traetment history/notes are not in english. Good luck, I don’y know what else to suggest right now.

1 Like

I am aged 41, I have dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.

I live in Surrey. Now, the waiting time is 2 years+, more like 2 years + due to the current Covid Pandemic, but in neighbouring Hampshire, which is around 9 miles away, the waiting time is 3 years+, more like 3 years + due to the current Covid Pandemic ! There is a postcode lottery, for ADHD assessments.

I will probably get a diagnosis of ADHD on Tuesday 4th August in Birmingham. I had to go through 15+ psychiatrists. The main reason for being rejected is that I have diagnoses of aspergers traits and / or dyspraxia.

I think neuro-diverse conditions should be diagnosed fully and thoroughly on the NHS. The process of getting a diagnosis of ADHD privately is complex and difficult, especially if you have diagnoses of aspergers traits / asperger syndrome and/or dyspraxia and/or dyslexia !

1 Like

im in birmingham but they have put me on hold, how haveu got an appointment?
lucky lol

2 Likes

I am going privately. I am of Middle Eastern origin, potentially of South Asian appearance. I using Dr Karim Rajput , near Five Ways station.

1 Like

okay wow thanks, is he any good? what are the costs of the adhd assesment?
thanks.x

1 Like

He is supposed to be very good. £600/2 hour session, email, perceptivepa@gmail.com.The secretary is Nancy Leach. My assessment has been postponed until, Tuesday 11th August.

1 Like

@Mas_Raz can meet you at Five Ways station, 16:15 pm. Tuesday 11th August, if you like !

1 Like

@Mas_Raz I have a diagnosis of ADHD. He is good for a psychiatrist. He is direct, a bit cocky and a bit arrogant !

1 Like

What about your treatment, how’s he starting?

1 Like

I am getting counselling etc.

The psychiatrist prescribed me Concerta.

1 Like