Want to start a creative time club?

So I went to a writing workshop recently and the facilitator did a plug for her online creative academy where one of the perks is their Writing Sprints. Basically they set a time to meet on group video chat; everyone shows up, they say hi, and then— they get to work and write for an hour. And bonus, your family will be more reluctant to disturb (/distract!) you when your workspace is on camera. Extra bonus: you’ll be more motivated to tidy your workspace too!

Is anyone interested in starting something like this with me? I hear that ADHD people tend to be creative but often struggle with doing something with that creativity (so it’s not just me…) I feel like this could be a really good way to get stuff done. It doesn’t have to be writing; you could draw, sculpt… dance?? Just whatever you’re into. We could even do it Pomodoro style and take a 5 minute break after 25 mins!

What do you think?

6 Likes

I have been to a couple of events called “Shut Up And Write” http://www.shutupwrite.com/ here in New Orleans, but it didn’t really work for me. I think that because it was at someone else’s place, so I didn’t have my dictionary and thesaurus and the restroom wasn’t familiar and so forth. But it’s a great way to “force feed” the creative process, having a group and a dedicated time slot.

1 Like

Oh, cool. I just found a chapter that meets at the downtown public library in my city and signed up for next Saturday. I’m one step closer to gettin’ stuff done! Still open to an online writing group if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

Totally know what you mean about not being able to work when you are unfamiliar with the environment, especially the restroom bit. I have IBS which means I spend more time in restrooms than most people and I hate bad restrooms. I heard that in Japan the stall walls go all the way to the ground. Very jealous here.

Stall walls are generally fused to the floor in Japan, or bolted. And only a few cm gap on the door for airflow, although a huge gap at the top (not an issue with a short population.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), though even I can rarely look over, and I’m 193(6’4"). Think it has only happened once or twice in the years living here. And they’re gender separated.

I do believe the bidet and especially the female version can be distracting, though.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: My friend’s mother apparently enjoyed it VERY much…:sweat_smile:

Edit: oh, and the heated toilet seats are a Godsend in winter…!:joy: Seriously nice, everyone should have that! Although when they keep it on into May, June, it feels… Weird…

I’d be down!! :tada:

@hyperglyph Oh yay!! I did a bit of research just right now and it looks like Skype or Google Hangouts are the best (read: cheapest [read: free]) options for what we need. Do you have a preference? I’ve tried Skype before but only for one-to-one calls (it was fine)

@Marodir bidets + heated seats = awesome.

2 Likes

I think Skype recently made conference calls free again (they made it a subscription benefit for several years), at least up to 25 people, so sounds like an awesome possibility, depending on bandwidth (it’s a bit of a hog).

Yes, heating is awesome. Have to admit, I never had the courage to use the “rear” bidet function…:sweat_smile:

I do most of my creative writing outside of my home because when I’m home, my cat wants attention, there’s Netflix and Hulu to watch, it’s easy for me to get sucked into just surfing the web…I’ve been to some write-ins for NaNoWriMo and I really like them. I get more jazzed when I’m writing around other writers. There are some ongoing write-ins in my area that I’ve been meaning to go to, but I keep finding myself busy with other stuff.

I love the idea of an online creative club and my first impulse is to say “SIGN ME UP!” but I know I’ve got at least one writing group I’m loosely in that I still haven’t written anything for, so I should probably not do the ADHD thing of immediately raising my hand to participate in one more thing. But still, consider me interested, at least.

1 Like

@Marodir I didn’t know that you could have 25 people on a Skype call! I think that will be more than enough. I was also looking into Zoom because I’ve heard good things about it and I know that some people use it to teach classes. But the downside is that they cap your meeting at 40 mins unless you pay the low low fee of $14.99/ month… Oh but actually! Maybe the free Zoom would work well if we’re going to do Pomodoro anyway. Like 25 mins --> logout --> five min break --> start a new meeting for 25 mins. I wonder if that would be a huge pain in the butt?

Speaking of which, if you do ever work up the courage to use the rear function, make sure you turn the water pressure down!! :slight_smile:

@joshuamneff good for you for recognizing your limits and not over-committing! I’ll update this thread as things get set up, and you can decide later if you want to join. Thanks for sharing your interest!

1 Like

Fees… argh

Yeah, I’m just thinking that if you have a forced break where you have to END the call, it might be hard for some to come back to it. I suspect a better idea would be to use Skype, and leave it on during the break to improve retention and return to tasks, if there are people to call eachother out/back.:wink:

Haha, I’ve absolutely thought about it, and intend to turn it WAY down, then slowly build up, not start at high pressure!:joy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve mainly used hangouts and zoom, but I do not have a preference! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Marodir very good point re: coming back to work post-break. So Zoom is out then! I mean, @Enzo I’m not totally against paying for services (they have to make $ somehow) but not when there are free options to try first

@hyperglyph hangouts was my first choice! But I’ve never tried it and I read in the reviews that there’s some bug that has been preventing people from ending their video calls since 2013 which is kind of funny but also freaked me out quite a bit. Have you had any issues with this?

1 Like

Hahaha I’ve never heard that, but I hope it’s true so that they can change their name to google hangons.

2 Likes

I’ve participated in a few sprint on Twitter, and it really helped me keep regular with practice. I’d love the freedom and flexibility to work on anything (writing/art/music) in that time, but obligation to show up and do the work.

1 Like

@hyperglyph :laughing: good one! And speaking of names, what should we call it?

@StringCanvas great! Glad you’re in :slight_smile: I’m also curious… how do you do a sprint via twitter? I don’t use Twitter but I thought it was like a mini blog?

Oh also times… I’m on the west coast (Pacific time) and I could do Monday Tuesday or Wednesday or all three. I prefer 10 or 11 am but pretty flexible… I think that’s all the thoughts I needed to get out? I started a new job today and am about to fall asleep on my phone. :sleeping:

Sleep tight.:wink:

@appleboat, good luck at the new job!

On Twitter, the sprint uses a particular hashtag. Sprinters all log in at the same time and check the tag. Someone says “go” and you work for a particular amount of time. Some of them do one long session (like an hour) and some of them do a few shorter sessions (maybe 3 sets of 15 minutes). Then, if you want, you can post some of the work that you’ve completed to the hashtag-- a couple lines you wrote that you liked or whatever.

I’m on east coast time here, and during the summer I could definitely do some AM sprints.

1 Like

Does anyone else have a problem with connecting ideas they have in their head and putting it down or communicating it. Say like an idea for an episode of for a show bit cant complete and write it down

1 Like

Mind maps tend to help me, though I’ve gone from having to write them down to just doing them automatically, and free associating. But yeah, when it’s locked down, or if you’re working on a tight deadline it can be extremely stressful, sadly…:sweat_smile::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like