Weird sleeping pattern

So ive never spoken about this,
Basically when i go to sleep it takes about an hour and if i dont do this it will take me longer to sleep.
I have to basically imagine a very dramatic situation like a drama series, my own eastenders or something lol, like people in my family getting killed and the police ,running away and stuff like that, i dont know but it just helps me to fall asleepp, calms my brain from having soo many thoughtd because im so focused on making a reallly sad drama and i havee to close my eyes and there has no be no noise at all or ill get angry lol. Does any1 know anything about this, should i get it checked out?

3 Likes

It depends on my mood, but I also often write horrible drama series in my head before going to sleep. I wouldn’t say it is extremely alarming, but I would suggest speaking to a therapist because it sounds like it is somewhat bothering you and therefore it is worth it to speak with a professional.

1 Like

wow thx atleast im not really alone lol x

2 Likes

I don’t gravitate towards dramatic or negative narratives, but I do sometimes develop scenarios that play or out get scripted in order to help keep my focus and organize my thoughts. Last night I had to listen to music in my ear buds to drown out my thoughts because they wouldn’t slow down enough for me to sleep.

3 Likes

…I thought I was the only one!!! I generally do less drama and more tiring situations, but I definitely do this. I feel like trying to visualize and imagine every single detail helps me sleep :sweat_smile:

1 Like

omg no way do u think its becuas of adhd?

1 Like

Maybe? It’s probably one of those things that’s related but not necessarily exclusive

2 Likes

So I am fairly new to all this and am still waiting to see my therapist for an official diagnosis, but the sleep issue is one of my major issues. I really do best with a 25-27 hour day so I can just wait till exhausted to fall asleep fast, but that’s just not an option most of the time. There are nights when I just can’t shut off my inner dialog, but I have had success a few times with composing in my head. Like I play my own random music composition, usually violin, instead of talking. This has been the only time i can remember not having an inner dialog. Now I can’t carry a tune in a bucket, nor can I play an instrument other than a simple penny whistle (and not very well), but somehow I can hear amazingly complicated string compositions in my head. But I can defiantly relate to the weird sleep pattern. It’s interesting to hear a different way to try and quiet the brain.

3 Likes

yeah thanks for replying!

1 Like

Hey, sorry this reply is coming late. I would say you might want to bring up the long sleep latency (amount of time between trying to fall asleep and successfully falling asleep) with your doctor. The average sleep latency is about 10-20 minutes but for ADHDers it tends to be much longer. I usually take anywhere between an hour and 2 to fall asleep, I’ve found some lifestyle changes help (consistent sleep schedule, daily exercise, etc.) and there are also medications you can talk to your doc about. I’m going to bring up melatonin, which is an over the counter supplement, with my GP at our next appointment.

In terms of imagining dramatic situations, I think that’s fairly common. I personally will always daydream a lot while drifting of to sleep. Sometimes situations like what you describe, sometimes just random things like fiction plots or replaying conversations I’d had but imagining them different. However, if you find the specific thoughts you’re having disturbing or intrusive, and I certainly understand how some of the things you described could be causing you psychological distress, I would suggest talking to a counselor or therapist about it if you have that option.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes