Well, it looks like I’m a Brain, too

Hi everyone,

My name is Mars. I’m a 20 year old college student, and today I was officially diagnosed with ADHD.

I have a whole handful of DSM diagnoses, and I recently got reassessed by my psychiatrist to take into account my adult brain (I’ve been in treatment for various things since I was 13, but never ADHD). However, this is the first time anyone has picked up I had ADHD. I’m kind of in shock… in a relieved way.

This literally explains all my trouble in school, why I’m “never trying hard enough”, etc. I’ve had a horrible time in the past two years of college, no wonder I was struggled. I needed help and no one noticed. I’ve been trying really really hard, but I guess… it’s not my fault. And I need support. And that’s ok. Right?

I’m planning on getting in touch with the Disability Resource Center at my college to get accommodations for the rest of the time I’m in school. I have some accommodations already for other mental health diagnoses and physical stuff, but I’m honestly super excited to sit down and get the support I need finally.

I’m very very grateful that even though my girlfriend doesn’t have adhd, her entire family does, so she understands and knows how to help. Even more, she loves Brains very very much, and I feel appreciated for my unique brain and not squashed. She’s actually the one who introduced me to How To ADHD! Her sister was watching it when she got diagnosed, and I’m glad I knew the channel existed. I feel so much less alone.

Anyway. Thank you for reading this blurb, I hope you’re all safe and healthy. I just wanted to shout from the rooftops- I HAVE ADHD!

-Mars

3 Likes

Welcome to the tribe!

1 Like

Welcome!!

1 Like

@Mars_McC

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Welcome . . .

1 Like

Hi! I am new here also. My advice for disability services is to have some idea of what accommodations you want to ask for before your meeting. Some possible accommodations are

1. Untimed tests
  2. alternate testing location
  3. full list of all assignments, tests, and quizzes at the start of the semester
  4. no penalty for missed classes up to a certain amount (varies by school)
  5. Recording device to play back lectures after class.(might have to purchase one yourself, depending on the school)
  6. No pop quizzes
2 Likes

I have a two years of previous experience with working with our Disability Resource Center for accommodations for my other diagnoses.

Unfortunately our DRC has a really strange model where you can’t actually asked directly for what you need, you have to tell them what’s going on and then they refer you accommodations. They have to decide for you, not you deciding what’s in your best interest. It’s really frustrating.

I’m hoping that now that they will know I have adhd I’ll actually be referred useful accommodations. Thanks for those suggestions though, it helps knowing what options can probably help.

2 Likes

That is how my office of disability services worked, also. But there is no rule against making requests and seeing if they agree.

1 Like