What are some tips for managing ADHD?

I want to make a bullet journal page that I can turn to when my brain is going haywire and I need quick and easy things to help.

What are some good tips and tricks you’ve learnt that help you manage your ADHD? Both in terms of general tasks, such as dealing with restlessness, and in terms of being able to do things that have to happen.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!!

1 Like

I tend to look at a glass half full a majorty of time but sometimes something will happen I it can make me look at the glass half emypty but my point to this we can’t control everything that is happening around us but we can control what we have control over at times that is our emtions but not all of the time due to emtional disregulartion. We have control over our actions so if a sitution is upseting and frusting to us avoid that situation or space as much as possible. so my main point in all of this is that while it may feel like the world is spining out of control and we dont feel that we have any control over anything its easier to think that yes i may not have control over the situation that is bothering me but I do have control over what I can do, say, and react. I have control that I am my own person. Wr can be the one who can control the channel switching that happens in our brains our brains dont have control over us

The ADHD and Motivation video has some great advice.

Here are my tips:

1. Reduce Tasks- do what you can to reduce the types of tasks you get stuck on. (ex Auto-pay bills)

2. Break up tasks - try to split tasks up into smaller subtasks. Reward progress. Try the Pomodoro method(25min focus, 5min break). Constantly experiment with different methods. Try harder first. Then if that doesn’t work, try differently.

3. Clarify your objectives- it is extremely easy to get stuck when facing ambiguity. I try to envision the end result before starting a task so that I know exactly what I’m aiming for.

4. Get curious about your brain - observe your brain and thought process as if you were looking at it from the outside. This might sound a little wacky, but it’s actually easier than you’d think. It’s called non-judgemental awareness and is very powerful. Once you look at your behavior without judging it good or bad, you can start to understand yourself better and figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. Journaling and meditation help you do this. By meditation, I just mean sitting with your eyes closed, listening to Spotify’s meditation playlist, and letting your thoughts go where they want for 30 min. During which, constantly question why they are going there.

5. Don’t try to be perfect. If you start to clean your room but give up at some point, it’s cleaner than when you started. That’s a win. Any progress is better than nothing.

6. Get Weird - Don’t think that just because others do it a certain way that you have to do it the same. I learn best through stories and associations so I find ways to integrate new information through them, no matter what the info is. This makes it stick better for me.

3 Likes

@cshan

Welcome to our bunch of best brains!

2 Likes

Not all inclusive, but some things for me:

• Set reminders - I use Google calendar as well as the Medisafe app for medications, and an alarm app for sleeping
  • Write things down - Even though I have my calendar, I still keep physical copies of some things and I have a spreadsheet that I track what bills I’ve paid each month online. I used to be able to pay all my bills at the first of the month, but since I can’t do that anymore I have to have something written to refer to or else I forget.
  • Sleep, sleep, sleep - I find that sleep is easy to neglect, but that without good sleep it has an impact on my ability to manage my symptoms. I’m not saying I need 8 hours every night, but if I go a week with no real good sleep I can feel the difference.
  • Therapy and treatment - Crucial to my health and mental health.
  • Routine - I find that finding and sticking to a routine is immensely helpful to me. For example, I have the same nighttime and morning routine, and usually do the same routine at work each day if I can. I like structure, as it helps organize my mind.
  • Self care - It’s important for me to take time to recharge, especially when I’ve been especially taxed socially. ADHD makes it hard for me to focus in social interactions, so it takes a lot of mental energy that needs to be replaced later.
  • Knowing when to be stimulated and when to limit stimulation - Sometimes I need all the screens, sometimes I need just silence. It’s not always easy for me to know when I need one or the other, so it’s a work in progress. There are definitely times though where my ADHD needs to be fed, and that’s okay.

I’m sure there are lots more. But I’m getting distracted and don’t want this to be a super long reply. Looking forward to the tips shared by other brains!

3 Likes

Not sure if this will help but I found an article when searching for something to help me. This does not come from an ADHD resource but from general information out on the www.

(my comments)

How to Prioritize Work When Everything Is # 1

1. Collect a list of all your tasks.

(The first challenge)

2. Identify urgent vs. important.

(What must get accomplished versus what most likely should be accomplished)

3. Assess value.

(OK, So maybe it is urgent or maybe important . . . but that is in the eye of the beholder. What will the impact be, how valuable will accomplishing the task be?)

4. Order tasks by estimated effort.

(Will it require a lot of time? A lot of effort? Should I get the big things out of the way first? Or all else being equal should I complete something that would take a lot of time and allow me to move on to the next task)?

5. Be flexible and adaptable.

(Flexible? Adaptable? I don’t know about you but if you are like me here are two big challenges!)

6. Know when to cut.

(know when to “fold them“! In other words, take some things off the list as seems appropriate based upon these or some other set of logical criteria. A list too long may be too intimidating, gets “lost”, Or not productive)!

Don’t know if any of this helps, but theoretically it seemed that it might hold some potential benefit for those of us brains intimidated and sometimes frozen in place by tasks before us.

Good Luck to you . . .

4 Likes