What are you good at?

I’m really good at my job. I’m a Facilities Coordinator, so I don’t have to manage anything, but I spend a lot of time going full detective-mode on tickets and email correspondences to piece together updates or figure out why a ticket issue hasn’t been solved yet. And I pride myself in producing good, quality work whenever I can.

I’m also good at art and a whole bunch of creative stuff, especially writing and worldbuilding… But like a lot of you guys, I have trouble feeling good enough at any of it to have the courage to turn it into a career or even justify spending my free time on it, lol. :slight_smile:

So I’d started writing before I got to the end of the post.

Well you’ve got far more talent than I ever had with digital recording and digital art…

I’ll preface any constructive criticism of your music by saying that it’s not really my genre… I’m more of a rock/grunge/punk/indie/crunch type person. And I have trouble hearing lyrics too, so mostly all I hear is the instrumental music.

Now that’s out of the way, I think you’ve got some really cool elements in there. Personally, I think you could use a little more punch at times (that’s just my personal taste, but I can see why you went for more simplicity as far as keeping the lyrics from being washed out). I like the darkness and melancholy of the chords and sequences you chose. I’d maybe also bring up your instrument levels to match the vox a little more, the detail in the instruments gets a little lost behind the vox, and I would have liked to hear it a little better. That would also give it all a little more separation and clarity. As an ex-engineer (mostly analogue), I have certain things that make me happy, but nobody else cares about much. :slight_smile: . You’ve done well!

I’ve got more experience with the graphics side of things (over digital music), and I really like what you’ve done there. Were they screenies of the game? Or did you do those ship/galaxy shots too?

I was involved with a game called WW2 Online for ages. It’s still kicking around out there, surprisingly.

I made a movie with my squadron. The vid is extremely jerky, a limitation of the platform and technology. Was around 2004 or something I think… I didn’t keep a copy of it, so it’s on someone else’s Youtube account now.

Fortunately, I have grown as a person since I chose the name Fear of Feedback, so I don’t mind constructive comments anymore. Funny enough my favorite genre of music is Nu Metal or Future Rock. Imagine if Techno and Rock had a baby.

That is the stuff I’d really like to write. Unfortunately I’m not yet at that level. Maybe one day.

The shots of the Jackal were screenshots that I then brushed up in photoshop by enhancing the colors and textures. Most of my “digital art” is done by combining various assets from other games or film together into something new.

I like it! I used to do similar things on Window’s Movie Maker. Nowhere near as good, but still fun.

I’ve always had a bit of a battle trying to make sure the vocals are loud enough to be understood clearly without drowning everything else out. I’ve got quite a bit more to learn in that regard, unfortunately, the only way to really do that is to just keep practicing and listening to the feedback from others.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen to the music and give me comments on them!

Actually, I forgot about the connotations of feedback in that sense… I was thinking “feedback” like amp squeal. :smile:

I always get into trouble when I try to be constructive but critical about something. I just can’t help not adding my 2c advice… But I still think about production and engineering and just have to blurt it out.

I’ve seen some pretty cool fan art around, it can be better than the developer’s stuff sometimes.

Yeah, that’s the hardest thing, separation. I used to record everything with analog mics etc. I’d take hours to get a setup right. Then half the time I’d record a band at a party, in their garage. I’d hang a couple of SM58 mics off a roof bean, and get the best sound ever.

One old technique to fill out a track that you want to add some beef to (vox or instruments) is to dupliacte the track, and lay it on top, offset with a tiny delay. So it’s completely in phase, but it just fattens the sound a bit.

No worries. It takes less skill to be a backseat driver than it does to create something!

I don’t recall the brand - I will have to find the lathe first :slight_smile: – it has been a while. But it needed to be mounted on a table. It had three speeds, which you controlled by moving the belt to a different size pulley.

You can try trouser clips (aka bicycle clips).