What changed in your life when you first took the meds?

As someone who never took the meds I would just love to hear from all of you what did medication change in your life?
Is it like magic for ADHD or it is just temporary change that looses its effect after sometime?

1 Like

I would describe it as a life change. My ability to deal with life changed for the better.

Medication definitely, clearly did the following for me:

• Much less distractible (and when I do get distracted, I can usually remember what I was doing when I got distracted)
  • Much more attentive - I can now direct and maintain my attention at-will (unless I’m overly-tired, or stressed-out)
  • My sense of time is much more solid and predictable (time used to be very fluid for me; 5 minutes could feel like an hour, or an hour like five minutes). Now, time feels like it ought to. 5 minutes feels like 5 minutes, an hour feels like an hour.
  • My working memory is much-improved: at least 3-times better capacity and much, much longer retention. (Hard to gauge. It used to last seconds to minutes without constant reinforcement. Now, I have to trouble keeping a list of things in my head for 20-30 minutes, or more.)
3 Likes

I’m still working on the “change your life” part…

3 Likes

Can’t say quite exactly re:ADHD. But like many others I have “co-morbid” (What a terrible term) ANXIETY and, even more so, DEPRESSION. My meds are for both . . . although one of them is thought to have some benefit for the ADHD (Wellbutrin- generic). So while my STM, distractibility, impulsivity, emotional dysregulation [etc.] are perhaps not improved. Overall I am doing a whole lot better on medication. Now that I think about it, I just started taking Lamictal as a mood stabilizer . . . and that has helped me to not fly off the handle . . . as often or as extreme!!

So I believe in meds . . . Of course the right ones prescribed by someone who also understands ADHD . . . That to me, is of paramount importance!

Hope this helps . . .

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I don’t wanna dampen your spirits: for me it meant a world of tics.

Meds worked well on me but since I’m a sensitive person the side effect caught up faster. If I take my meds I litteraly end up sick in bed and because of the meds I have developed tics that are now chronic. So I can’t get rid of them. I’m in the process now of trying different meds to see if my body reacts better to that.

What I want you to take away from this is not that meds are dangerous or to make you afraid of the side effects. I want you to take away from this that not all meds work the same for everyone, and if the first meds don’t work, it’s okay to try different ones. For some people it takes some digging and figuring out before they find the right medication that works for them. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting with it as long as you’re under supervision of a professional.

2 Likes

I would echo some of this and say for me it was life changing. It gave me a sense of calm I hadn’t known before, and helped with lots of my restlessness and needing to be moving all the time. It helped me focus on conversations. I could get tasks started immediately without much effort. I was able to focus in on a single thought in my head instead of 30 all at once. I was able to be more attentive to detail, to slow down my process and not make mistakes, and to be generally more aware socially.

It was a great effect for me.

2 Likes

No magic for me yet.

First tried Adderall for a few weeks, up to 40mg. Well there was magical weight loss involved here, and while I didn’t mind, it wasn’t why I was taking it, and other life situations played a part in that as well. I was then switched to Ritalin, and gradually have increased to 40mg, also with no magic. Maybe a slight improvement here, but certainly not magic.

Adderall and Ritalin are both stimulants and take effect within minutes (maybe an hour?) and it only stays in your system for a few hours, so it wears off quickly.

On the subject of anti-depressants like Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac (SSRIs), those generally take a few days to have an effect. I don’t know how long they remain after taking them, but these are often prescribed for ADHD people that also have depression. As mentioned, co-morbidity is the term when you have multiple simultaneous conditions.

Wellbutrin is another drug, which I believe is also primarily for depression, but is not an SSRI, and is is sometimes used for ADHD.

I think its great that meds have helped so many people, and I hope I will eventually find the right medication and dosage that helps as well.

1 Like

I first got diagnosed and medicated in 1st grade. Before I got medicated I didn’t have the attention span to do hints like xount to 10p or tie my shoes. Only like 2 or 3 hours after taking an ADHD pill for the first time I sat down and tied my shoes. ( we had been trying o teach me to do that unsuccessfully for about 2 or 3 years then. IT WAS A MIRACLE!!!

A few years later in like 5th grade I was a C- math student. We decided it was time for a change. We changed my medicine and my parents said I could get a puppy (not thinking I could) in 9 weeks went from a C- in math to a A and a A+ on he end of the year test!!! ADHD medicine like Vyvanse really and truly CHANGED my life for the BETTER!!

1 Like

I was diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD at the same time. My doctor started me on an anti-anxiety SSRI (if I remember right, it was Lexapro). I felt a very mild effect the first day, buy it was at least 5 days before I felt the full effect. After a month on the SSRI, my doctor prescribed me Adderall. The SSRI certainly did what was needed, but the Adderall was only half-effective.

With my anxiety relieved by the fourth month on the SSRI (and also due to a side effect that had a negative impact on my life), my doctor said that I could stop taking that medication. It took nearly two weeks of feeling “off” while my body and brain adjusted to life without the meds. I continued on the Adderall until I convinced my doctor to try me on atomoxetine, which was twice as effective as the Adderall was.

I have the Predominantly Inattentive presentation. Atomoxetine is an SNRI (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), which also has a mild SSRI capability. Norepinephrine is a form of adrenaline which acts directly on the brain, so in my case, it’s not dopamine that I need to stimulate my brain and regulate my ADHD traits, it’s norepinephrine. - I also felt like I had SCT (sluggish cognitive tempo), which atomoxetine works for as well.

1 Like