What does stimulant medication do for you?

Hey fellow brains!

It’s been 16 years since the last time I tried stimulant medication to assist with my ADHD. When I first took the medication, I remember the feeling of clarity but also nausea, extreme tiredness, and feeling not like myself. It may help to know that I was 13 in an unstable environment while suffering from sever depression. After a couple of months, dosage adjustments, and switching from Ritalin to Adderall, I refused to take the medication because I kept falling asleep in class (so it wasn’t really helping).

I’m finally finishing up a multi-step testing process to allow my doctor to prescribe stimulant medication to me again. I’m a little nervous, so I wanted to ask you guys:

IN ONE SENTENCE

What does stimulant medication do for you?

1 Like

Allow me to function just enough to maybe be considered a mostly functioning adult. :heart:

I tend to give longer answers to medication questions like this so I’d like to direct you to two posts I’ve already written, in hopes that it may help ease your nerves a little. :heart:

3 Likes

It makes me calmer. Litteraly. That’s what I need at the very moment. I’ve had a mental breakdown last year, and now I’m in a burnout. I’m going through a healing process, trying to get rid of my ptsd. So it’s nice to have medication now. But generally seen I’m not a big fan of any medication in the world. I prefer going without it as much as possible. So as soon as I’m out of this whole healing process, I wanna reduce my medication to only moments when I really need it. For example when I’m having exams or something like that. Maybe when my ptsd is gone, it’s automatically easier for me to deal with my ADHD. I at least hope that :grin::grin:

2 Likes

I don’t think she was commenting on the way you answered the question. I think she was making a comment on my instructions: “in one sentence…”

I have difficulty reading (of course), and it’s a challenge to describe something complex very simple. However, it forces people to be honest about how medication effects them in the most generalized way whether positive or negative.

1 Like

It gives me control over parts of my brain that otherwise would be looking for something else to do.
I’m on Samexid 50mg (Vyvanse)

2 Likes

Oh sorry. Then just go by the first line I Said: it makes me calmer :grin:

2 Likes

You did not offend me at all! I was replying to Andi - I’m sorry I wasn’t clear on who I was responding to! I was saying how my medication allows me to function just enough to maybe be considered a mostly functioning adult. :slight_smile:

I had linked my two posts just in case Andi wanted more in depth details (since medication is one of those things where I try to be super honest about how complex a medication journey can be).

Again - I’m so so so so sorry I wasn’t more clear! I’ve not been offended by anyone. :heart:

1 Like

Medication helps me to get started on a task about two hours earlier than without it. Usually.

On the one hand you tried before, but on the other hand our bodies change a lot in such a long time, and especially if one of the reference points was at 13 - puberty and hormones kicking in and then settling down.

As long as you keep talking to your doctor about what is or isn’t happening, you should be able to be much more in control of the whole process this time around.

Good luck!

3 Likes

It calms me down, slows the racing thoughts that overwhelm me and lets me focus.

3 Likes

Thank you for your insight

Lol! It’s okay, we have ADHD. We all struggle with instructions!

Thank you for including the type of medication you’re on

Thanks for the help! Today is the big day. Even though I’m trying to manage my expectations, I really hope that medication could start assisting with my struggles even if it will take time finding the right type and dosage.

2 Likes

If it ever gets frustrating just try to remind yourself that it’s a complex journey :heart: It usually helped me to remember that I not only had to find the right medication, but I had to find the right dosage as well, and that each medication is different, even if the base drug is the same (for example: Instant Release Adderall doesn’t do anything for me, but Extended Release Adderall works :woman_shrugging: / Another example: Teva/Actavis Manufactured Adderall XR is awful for me, but Sandoz Manfuctured Adderall XR is perfect).

So it doesn’t really help the impatient frustration - BUT having some logic to grasp onto feels better than not having any logic to hold onto @_@ :heart:

3 Likes

Stimulant medication (Vyvanse) calms my mind, slows my heart rate, relaxes me, helps me get tasks done from start to finish, helps me pay attention to conversations, pay attention to details, stay on track, and in general function with an ease that I had never known.

2 Likes

I just wanted to thank you all for your support through this process and sharing your experiences. Update: I just started my medication today (vyvanse 30mg) and I truly feel like I found medication that works for me! It’s like night and day. I think the dosage is a little light, but I’m so happy that I did this.

5 Likes

gives me lots of energy, greatly reduces my pain, gives me confidence and enables me to work.

1 Like

Slows your heart rate?!?!

1 Like

Welcome My fellow Brain @Carrie_Anne

For me, yep.

1 Like