“What sorcery is this?” Is this how people just are?

So I finally got my first script… I’m on day two and I’m just able to do the things that I want to do without a giant negotiation happening in my brain. Is this how neuro-typicals experience the world?

• I remembered where I left my phone
  • I stopped myself from falling down the Facebook rabbit hole and just got back to work as soon as I realized I was off task
  • I was able to read a full article without doing something else in the middle
  • I was able to stay on task for an hour at work, get pulled away, and just pick up where I left off when I was done that other task

What sorcery is this?
Every time in the back of my mind I think this must be cheating things can’t be this easy for people.

8 Likes

I had the same experience. Medication has been life changing. Glad you’re feeling the benefit!

7 Likes

That is awesome! And yeah, I think some things really are that easy for many people

3 Likes

Quick warning! Be careful of staying too focused for too long “now that you can.” I spent too many nights staying up until 1-3 am working on things on my laptop for work and then not being able to function the next morning.
Otherwise… yeah. It isn’t totally neuro-typical experience, but its pretty close.
My first day I got up, took my meds, made coffee for my wife, sent her out the door to work (she had to work that Saturday), and decided my foster son (at the time 2, and has since gone back to bio fam) could sleep in. I looked at the table. Saw some scissors. I should move that.
So I did.
And the pile of papers he would try to grab next.
And then I just cleaned the table.
And then I sat down and cried because oh my God is this what normal life is like? Is this what has been missing for 34 years?

Yeah. It’s like a cheat code to life. Except “normal” got born with the exploit and we didn’t and we gotta find a hack to make the exploit work.
And then every 18 months or so the hack has to change because it got patched. (The brain gets used to the meds and it needs tweaking).

3 Likes

Thanks all :heart: your replies were a nice boost at the end of my day.

Update: my meds still seem magical but I think I’ll need to get them tweaked at my next checkup because I can really feel it when they wear off.

3 Likes

I’m about to start medication and I hope I have a similar experience. But I must say, if that’s how other people just love their lives then I can’t help but feel that it sucks having adhd.

3 Likes

To be honest, I still feel that drop. Which I think is normal, though I could be wrong. My big concern is if that drop happens too soon. I had to adjust my meds up because it was dropping about an hour before I got off work… bad timing. I had to push to back a bit. Now it is around 30 minutes after, which works out for me. There is enough lingering affects that helps out with my home time.

1 Like

I noticed that, too. I got switched from immediate to delayed release a while back and was very disappointed that the effect didn’t seem to last longer but the rebound did. Then I got a stronger dose and it extended the effect considerably. Then I accidentally (really!) took two of those and got by all day with hardly any of those tiredness attacks that announce the drop.

My very unscientific explanation was that it’s a bit like deodorant. It says “24 hours guaranteed” on the label, but after three I feel like a skunk because those 24 hours are when the las bit of it has worn off but it starts wearing off right away and after three hours it passes the threshold where it just isn’t useful anymore. It’s more complicated with delayed release drugs, I’m sure, because of the delayed release over three shifts, but I stick by my theory for now.

Currently, I’m back to immediate release to see if those extra mg really do make a difference. Took some an hour ago and before I knew it, I started answering emails right away and stuff like that. I always wondered how people do that.

2 Likes

What are you on? I am on Vyvannse, and my experience is that I get about 15-30 minute ramp up period, the roughly 9/12 hours of affect, and about a half hour drop. I am still MUCH better after the drop than I am off meds, but oof. That drop is when I wanna go take a nap.

But, on days when it is SUPER HIGH STRESS OMG GO GO GO GO GO GO I find I burn through the effect much sooner and the drop hits earlier. So I always envisioned it as a finite resource that the intensity of my focus/stress/whatever burns through at varying rates.

It is interesting that we are getting different experiences.

1 Like

For me the Vyvanse takes about 30 minutes to kick in and lasts for about 10-11 hours before dropping off. I don’t notice a specific length of the come down, but it’s noticeable after it wears off as my symptoms return in force. It can be frustrating because I still have things I need to tackle in the evening, but I do what I can to utilize skills to manage. I figure it’s probably more important to have the medication effective during my work day.

1 Like

My next appointment is in two days. I am going to inquire about getting something like a low dose of “instant” stuff so that when I have late events going on I can take a booster for it. I.E. we have been having twice weekly rollouts starting around 7pm through… when we get done. This weekend I am driving 7 hours to go to a store and work on stuff until 10:30 or 11 or when ever we get done. … A boost would help. But normally the standard dose is fine. I just never know when an event might occur as I am on call.

1 Like

I’m on generic methylphenidate. The delayed stuff is basically a Concerta knock-off.

With the high dose, I can get 9-12 decent hours out of it, including 6 really good ones. There’s a drop-off after that but it’s still above Skunk level (that deo metaphor again) for most of the time so I slow down but don’t tire out as violently as I do with a smaller dose or the immediate release stuff.

Immediate release drop-off is actually fine because while it can be tough, it’s brief. With a second dose around my lunch break, I can make it through my six-hour workday without losing much momentum, and after that I can turn the rebound effect into a nice little nap.

With the smaller dose of the delayed-release stuff, or sometimes when I forget to take the second dose of the immediate kind, I get these flashes of my brain turning into cotton for a second and that’s not good. Or the symptoms come back with a vengeance. So I’m not sure if it really is that different. I’ll try and see if stress speeds up the process of burning thorugh the effect, the next time I get stressed.

2 Likes

Well… I mean… don’t go looking for it… O.O

:smiley:

Interesting. I’ll need to keep that in might for my appointment.

2 Likes

I take Vyvanse. I was taking concerta and just recently the dose was increased. The onset is steep and fast starts to kick in at about 60 mins and is in full swing at 1.5 hours. I get maybe 10 hours before the drop and it’s just as hard and fast as the onset. Today it got the better of me and I slept for 2 hours. The drop off is much worse on the higher dose.

An interesting read when it comes to Stimulant meds is on Acute Tolerance. It helps to explain why you get the sharp drop at the end of the day.

M

2 Likes

Out of curiousity, what is your dosage vs body mass? (I am on 60mg, and am 370 pounds)
I’m getting a sleep study next week so we can see if I have sleep apnea. If so, treating it should help me lose weight, and eventually lower my dose. (and… you know… live longer)

1 Like

Dr. William Dodson says that ADHD medications are ones that are independent of weight / body mass dosing requirements. So, no need to dose based on size, height, etc.

1 Like

I had a sleep study done it was very interesting.
Pro tip do your nighttime routine before they put wires all over you and if you shower do it the day before.
The wires hook up to a wall and if you need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night you have to buzz them and ask them to remove the wired box from the wall and do your business then your hooked right back up to the wall.
I only know this because like I said I had one in order to deal with how braces are working out with my teeth.
At lest that is how it was here in america I don’t recall reading on where your from so it could vary from countries as well as states if from america

I am maybe 220 lbs roughly doing the conversion in my head. But as stated before ADHD meds and effectiveness from what I understand has little to do with body size.

Interestingly though sleep apnea is something that was ruled out before I started meds. Because chronic sleep deprivation has similar symptoms to ADHD. And sleep deprivation and being larger is a bit of a circular problem in being that a side effect of poor sleep can be weight gain and weight gain has an impact on apnea.

I did have apnea a few years back but I had my tonsils removed because they where big and caused sleep apnea. After that it was only a problem when I slept on my back. I have lost about 45 pounds since treating my ADHD due to being way less impulsive with my food choices and eating better food and less of it. Now I don’t even snore anymore and the quality of my sleep has improved a whole lot. Now I can quite happily get by on 6 hours a night.

If it turns out you do have sleep apnea getting it sorted out will make you feel a whole lot better. More energy clearer in the head plus a whole bunch of health improvements.

Good luck with the sleep study and I hope it works out for you.

1 Like