what's good?

i’m going through it right now, friends. so tell me: what’s good? share your little joys.

i was on a walk recently and saw two geese with some goslings. the babies were still yellow and fluffy. even better, i was far enough away that i didn’t get told off by the adults!

4 Likes

I reconnected with my best friend from high school (who is a fellow Brain). We’ve been catching up on the last few years, because we’ve had little contact.

He and I live very different lives, but we’re like brothers.

4 Likes

i love this so much. thank you for sharing, jd.

3 Likes

Oh things get so hard sometimes don’t they?
I’ve been treating myself. Like buying cherries at the supermarket. Or driving with my favourite songs on full blast….

But if I’m really low I just put on a movie. Curl up, turn off the lights, get something nice to eat….

5 Likes

cherries are one of the best fruits.

3 Likes

I have today off, so I can watch some TV.

4 Likes

When a pair of ducks show up in my backyard, I feed them some oats. My cats love to sit inside the kitchen and watch the ducks from the window for as long as they are around – some time they eat and rest and even go to sleep. One day last week when the ducks showed up, I looked high and low for the bag of oats but couldn’t find it. So I widened the search to the whole house but nothing. When I came back to the kitchen, I see a whole bunch of oats spread near the door to the backyard. Apparently my cats were trying to help! How cool is that!

3 Likes

Well, maybe the cats were trying to help themselves… To a duck dinner.

My parents have ducks that come spend some time on their front and back lawns. My dad puts out some birdseed, and the ducks eat some of it. (As go smaller birds, and a few squirrels that live in nearby trees.)

At least a couple of neighborhood cats keep trying to stalk the ducks, hiding at the bottom of the bushes on my parents’ front yard. The ducks are smart enough to be safe from the cats. One stays of watch while another eats. They take turns, with the male taking the first watch, then eating quickly while the female watches. They stay out in the middle, maintaining over 5 feet of distance from the bushes at all times (out of cat-pounce range). And the ducks fly of at the first sign of trouble.

2 Likes

They are indoor cats! They go all aquiver when they see squirrels, lizards, rabbits, hummingbirds, chicadees or other small birds and ignore crows but ducks they love to watch. They even tell me by running around like crazy when the ducks arrive when I am in another part of the house! I think my interacting with the ducks puts them in a different category.

3 Likes

Ah, I see. They’re civilized cats.

I like cats, but I’m more of a dog person. I understand dogs better. (Every time I think I understand cats, they prove me wrong. :yum: They keep me guessing.)

3 Likes

the best person i’ve ever met is a cat. i told my mom this and she was offended … until she met the cat.

i love dogs too. i am equally cat and dog person.

other animals, i love, but generally prefer to see at a distance in the wild. i grew up with pet fish and i loved them. i just don’t know that they enjoyed the arrangement as much as i did, lol. dogs and cats seem to be, as species, pretty into people (or at least into scavenging in our garbage).

relatedly, i got two pictures of that wonderful cat friend from my human friend yesterday. i also got to say hi to one of my dog friends after work yesterday.

1 Like

The days are very long and I get a lot of daylight and sunlight here in Aberdeen (Scotland) and I am often going for walks or cycling long into the evening and birds are singing nearly all the time. I forgot an old onion at the back of a cupboard and it started growing up, so I put it in a pot with some earth and now I have a flower. I watched an interesting lecture on youtube and afterwards had an interesting conversation about it with a friend.

2 Likes

so many lovely things! your post prompted me to look up onion flowers. if i’ve seen them before, i wasn’t aware. they are beautiful!

2 Likes

That is better than me emptying my car of stuff mum could no longer manage and finding a whole avocado dried up unopened back there…. I wondered why my car smelt funky.

But getting it all out, and in the bin was such a good feeling, not having yo hold onto stuff or go through it, just letting go…. It’s rare, but it’s great when you feel it, I think I kept one small plastic bag of stuff and took thst home. Sans avocado.

3 Likes

this detail made me laugh.

2 Likes

It’s the little things right? I can now say my life is dead avocado free! Woo! I still look back on that with pride… my car was full of mums stuff, including her jewellery which the nursing home staff said she couldn’t be trusted with any more so there were pockets of valuables amidst masses of junk…

I couldn’t park at shopping malls any more without taking the valuables out of the car and dragging them with me everywhere…. It was a drag… literally…

Luckily when I had to return to work (from working from home all year) , I had to empty the car therefore procrastination ended JUST in time to get me to work that week.

2 Likes

Today I saw a miniature dachshund roll over for a piece of sandwich.

2 Likes

amazing.

Pets are everything aren’t they? I miss my boys

i went for a walk with one of my best friends.

1 Like