What's it Like it to Take ADHD Meds?

So first of all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, I’m still getting oriented here, so if it’s wrong feel free to do whatever admin things you do to misplaced threads.

But on to the actual question, I’ve been trying to decide if I actually would want to take pills if they they become an option, and I was wondering if you guys would mind sharing your experiences with taking ADHD meds like adderall or ritalin?

Anything you’d like to share is great, but I’m most specifically what(if anything) you lose by taking the meds? Like is there any part of ADHD that you had before taking them that you miss now?

Thanks guys!

3 Likes

I think everyone’s medication experience is different, and often people try a variety of different medications before they find the right one.

For me, I first tried Wellbutrin to help with focus and concentration. It seemed to work, but eventually I stopped it due to a side effect. After I went off it things went back to the chaos that I had known before and I asked my provider about alternatives. That’s when he officially diagnosed me with ADHD (he had suggested it before) and started me on Vyvanse.

My experience with Vyvanse has been life changing. It has helped calm some of the internal restlessness I had, help me be able to complete a project from start to finish, lowered my anxiety, helped me sleep better, helped me maintain conversations, allowed me to be more organized (at times) at work, and has generally improved my mood. I didn’t realize how much I had been struggling until I took the medicine.

It’s definitely not a “high” and definitely not a focus pill. It makes things easier. I really like the analogy of “ADHD medication is like putting on a pair of glasses.” I actually felt a sense of sadness when I first started on it because I felt sad that I hadn’t gotten to experience life the way everyone else without ADHD had.

The medication hasn’t taken anything away from me. I don’t have any side effects. I would say that my mind is a bit less creative during the day when it’s working, but I’m also on other medications that may impact that. I’ve been on and off medications enough in the past to know that I’d rather stay on them and lose a bit of creativity than go off them and invite the train wreck, depression, and chaos that follows.

I think it’s important to ask yourself a couple of questions when looking into medication:

• What are you expecting the medication to do?
  • What symptoms are the most problematic for you that medication might help?

Taking ADHD medication brings on a new set of challenges including stigma, difficulty obtaining it, and other concerns. It may also take time to find the right medicine for you. Typically medications are effective for roughly 80% of people. Sometimes if you don’t respond to a stimulant you may do well with a non-stimulant. Some doctors start with the non-stimulant option first.

If you have fears, questions, or anxieties, definitely talk with the doctor about all those before you begin. Make sure to write down your questions and make sure that they give you time to address each one.

ADHD meds aren’t a quick fix in my experience. They will make some things easier, but the ADHD will still remain. It’s important that while you’re on medication you’re also doing other things like relying on past coping skills, staying engaged in therapy or coaching, learning new tools and new skills, and seeking support from people in your life when you can.

Whatever happens, good luck on this journey!

5 Likes

I would add EXERCISE (aerobic). In my experience it is as effective as medication (etc.)

3 Likes

I can say this much about taking ritalin and a few things to note one I was in 4tth grade and I didn’t really understand what was going on. While on ritalin I had a very suppressed appetite so i would only eat two meals a day breakfast and dinner I was not hungry for lunch come home with a full lunch box and I would stay up late at night reading and this was a cycle that continued until my parents decided to take me off of it due to the server side effect. But now i am taking vyvanse and it just seems that the world is not as “noisy” in terms of thoughts and ideas that are constantly streaming through and everything just seems calm in a sense.

3 Likes

I’m going to be, back most likely, it’d be cool if you could like this to really remind me, but i’m going to write a long, long, long book probably on this.

This is a very complex decision, and one the has positive and negative consequences both ways. I’ll try to format it, explain my subjective experience, maybe experience of family members or ill ask them to do it, i’ll cite research and pharmacology, give some opinions, and also note that this process of whether to be medicated or not, is often done terribly wrong.

A lot of people either just take it because it’s medication, just give it to their children because it calms them down or because it’s there medication, or refuse to consider it because it’s drugs.

The decision whether to take medication for ADHD, is one that should be analytical, subjective, and changeable based on changing situations. It takes a lot of time to do this well, but not doing is risky and has consequences. I’m gonna go do stuff for my brain to settle and then come back to this, so like it or reply so I don’t forget.

1 Like

I have been on ADHD meds now for a while I think it’s well over a year. It’s been such a long journey getting it right that I have forgotten. The decision part of the equation was easy for me it was just a case of you never know if you don’t try. But I also did my due diligence beforehand and I knew that if could be a rough process. So I decided to commit to the process before I started and it was rough. But I can say that life is grand medicated. Things are clearer I am calmer and generally much nicer to be around.

1 Like

Also: Be realistic with your expectations, as it’s not a magic wand.

3 Likes

Strongly agree with this.

1 Like