What's something you're proud of?

I’m curious as to what other brains feel proud about. Big or small. What’s something that you’ve done or are doing that you’re proud of?

I’ll start. I’m proud of graduating college and getting my degrees. I struggled a lot academically during undergrad and almost failed out, likely due to my ADHD and depression at that time. I’m so proud that I was able to push through and complete and go on to graduate school. I wouldn’t be doing the work I am today without making that happen. I didn’t know about ADHD at the time, and if I had it probably would have been a lot easier. Still, though, it’s something I reflect on from time to time and remind myself that I can be strong even in the midst of terrifying adversity.

3 Likes

Ooohhh this is a great idea!!!
It’s really inspiring that you’ve gotten your degrees despite all of that :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Thanks! It was definitely a challenge.

How about you? What’s something you’re proud of?

2 Likes

@quietlylost

Absolutely achievements to be proud of . . .

What type of work are you doing?

2 Likes

I work in mental health. :slight_smile: I have a couple of jobs, both of which are pretty rewarding. What about you? And what are you proud of?

2 Likes

Retired as I’ve been for 5 yrs. I have taken up painting. I gave up on trying to replicate a horse, a dog, an ocean scene . . . Etc. All of those attempts were disappointing. So I tried abstract painting. Maybe 1 out of 20 are satisfactory to my critical eye.

4 Likes

@quietlylost

Just posted my pride subject . . .

I’m curious . . . “Mental Health” . . . Care to elaborate?

3 Likes

What am I proud of? Right now that kinda hard to say :sweat_smile:
I guess I’m mostly proud of being consistent. I’ve been sticking to piano, asking friends about prayer request, and doing devos! I’ve also been making my bed and journaling :yum:
Thank you for asking, it’s been interesting to think about…

@Brooklyn w h o a h that’s amazing!!! I love the depth and color changes

2 Likes

@ConfusedbutADHDandLD

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous! So cool! How often do you paint? What did you do before retirement?

1 Like

I work two jobs. One is at a hospital doing emergency psychiatry. The other job is working with military veterans. :slight_smile: I’m a clinical social worker and have done the gamut from outpatient therapy, addiction treatment, inpatient psychiatry, ER work, and case management.

2 Likes

Oohhh cool! What’s your favorite thing about the job(s)?

That’s so great! It’s awesome that you’ve been able to meet your goals and stay consistent. I’m guessing it’s not always easy, but it’s super cool that you’ve been able to do despite the challenges. I’m impressed by all those things, including playing the piano and looking out for other people. Plus, making the bed is something I never do so I’m in awe of that. Great work!

2 Likes

Two things:

• The patients/veterans I get to work with. Even in crisis, it’s a privilege to work with people. They’ve got so much going on, and they’re an incredible population to work with on both ends. I get to work with kids and adults in one setting, and veterans and families in the other. It’s a great challenge too.
  • The people/staff I work with. I’m lucky in that I get to work with people who I’d also consider friends. They’re really great people, easy to get along with, and good at their jobs. We work well together as a team, and support each other. Those are all critical things for the stressful work of the mental health field. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

And yeah, its been hard at times. But my biggest tips for making the bed is:

• tuck the corners in really tight before you sleep so you don’t actually have to do much in the morning
    Or
  • just shake out and blankets and call it a day! It doesn’t have to be perfect

Awww that’s awesome!! Being surrounded by good people can make a world of a difference :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a great reminder that it doesn’t have to be perfect. When I do make the bed I definitely feel like it’s got to be neat and tidy and things need to be tucked in, equal on the sides, etc. Thanks for the good reminder. :slight_smile: How about piano? How long have you been playing?

2 Likes

No problem! I’m the same way so i try to say that as much as possible :sweat_smile:
I’ve been playing about 9 years on and off. This is probably the first time that I’ve actually been invested in it though. We switched teachers and it’s really helped!

1 Like

@quietlylost

Thanks! Makes me feel good to know my amateurish venture into the world of :man_artist:t2: is appreciated.

I too worked in the mental health field (NJ). I graduated Fordham University (NYC), Graduate School of Social Work as an MSW. For over 40 years I worked in community based mental health agencies with people having serious and persistent mental illness. For the last 20 yrs. I worked in an agency as the Performance Improvement Administrator. As such I was responsible for various areas concerning: Policy Development and Compliance; Staff Training and Development; Risk Management; Regulatory Reviews and Inspections; Client Advocacy and Complaints; HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act); Etc.

I enjoyed doing research most of all. Was like an enjoyable “scavenger hunt” for me. Find this to lead me to that which opened new lines of inquiry which excited me to look for more (and more . . . and more). A perfect storm of ADHD, exciting finds, brain stimulus . . . only to go through one cycle after another. I’m sure to no one’s surprise here . . . I missed deadlines for some of my less exciting tasks!

Since I was not closely monitored I controlled my workday. Both good and bad. But being able to hyper-focus or choose one thing at a time to focus on, enabled me to stay employed. In fact I turned down an offer to become the Assistant Director of this agency. In that position I would have had oversight responsibility for many different client services and programs. I knew that given my problem with short term / working memory, poor organizational skills, low frustration tolerance, and not the best impulse control (i.e. ADHD) that I would be unable to successfully manage that job. After thinking about it “over the week-end” I informed my boss that I declined his offer and I told him the reasons. He understood and in fact told me that he thought that it was the right decision. By then he saw enough of me in action to understand some of my ADHD issues.

So, what about you?

3 Likes

That’s really cool! Do you have a piano of your own?

2 Likes

That’s so amazing! Thank you for all the work you did! Front line mental health workers, especially with SPMI, are never thanked enough for all the hard work that goes into it. Especially when a lot of times you’re not able to meet certain needs and people are left unhappy or even forgotten about by providers. It’s so good that you were able to work so well there!

I can agree with a lot of the organizational challenges and deficits and why I too have avoided management or moving up over the years. I like being in the midst of the work. It keeps me engaged and I get to do what I want to do. I came into the field to help people, not to administrate. The most I’ve done outside of that is teaching or speaking, which is fun and still clinical.

I hope that your retirement is going well and you’re getting to explore not only art but other interests and desires. What an incredible journey!

2 Likes