What's your Myers-Briggs personality type?

DISCLAIMER: The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a personality test developed from the theories of psychologist Carl Jung. While it is psychology based, it is just a personality assessment and is not intended to diagnose or treat any psychological problem. It’s just kind of fun, and may help individuals better understand their strengths and weaknesses!

Take the test for free at 16 Personalities (requires email), or at Human Metrics (no email needed).

• ISTJ
  • ISFJ
  • INFJ
  • INTJ
  • ISTP
  • ISFP
  • INFP
  • INTP
  • ESTP
  • ESFP
  • ENFP
  • ENTP
  • ESTJ
  • ESFJ
  • ENFJ
  • ENTJ

0 voters

For help understanding your “functional stack,” or your MBTI “strengths and weaknesses,” I like to use Cognitiveprocesses.com.

Follow up question! How do you feel about your MBTI results? Do they match you? How do you feel your personality type interacts with your ADHD?

P.S. I know this whole forum is brand new, so if this falls into the category of “not scientifically helpful for ADHD,” feel free to take it down! It’s a “for fun” post, not intended to be a plug/treatment/advice/etc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mostly posting this poll because I am interested to see how ADHDers show up on the MBTI compared to the general population! I’m an INFJ, and I recently spent some time digging around to see what the overlap for INFJ and ADHD looks like. I found this interesting video discussing how ADHD might present differently in a “perceiver” vs. a “judger,” and in the process found out that some MBTI experts think “judgers” can’t have ADHD! Well, I’m a judger, and I certainly have ADHD, so humph! But the video creator Enid does a great job of showing she understands ADHD, and pinpointing how ADHD might present for a judger like me. For the most part, she’s totally on point! Pretty interesting, imho.

3 Likes

I’ve taken different MBTI tests and quizzes over the past 11 years, including the official one (I think) and I always always always get ENFP. :smile:

3 Likes

I used to be an INTJ, but in recent years that shifted to ISTP. Knowing you strengths and weaknesses can be really helpful!

I’ve also noticed some shifts in my typing, too, even since starting my ADHD treatment. :slight_smile: Most of the time, I type INFJ, but I’ve also gotten INFP and INTP. I’m kind of sensitive to the wording of different MBTI questions, so the wording of the questions can change my typing. I think it’s important to remember that MBTI is more about how you’re interacting with the world, than about being an unmovable set of things that make up “you.”

The INFJ functional stack fits me best, though: introverted intuition, extroverted feeling (combines to make me good at being very empathetic), introverted thinking, extroverted sensing (makes me weak at reasoning through plans, or easily navigating new social or physical spaces).

1 Like

I don’t think my shift had much to do with ADHD treatment, but more to do with ‘just growing up’ hehe :slight_smile:

If I took it now, it may have changed since I last took the 16 personalities one over a year ago, so much has changed for me the last months :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m an INFP :slight_smile: and I think it very much fits my inattentive ADHD :joy:

4 Likes

It’s not uncommon for personality to change as different stuff happens in your life. I’ve been studying Erik Erikson (such a great name) recently for psychology, and he theorises that personality isn’t set in stone, unchangeable, but instead it is derived from a series of challenges that you must overcome, each resolution you come to defining who you are and how you behave. A brief summary from memory is below.

1. Trust vs mistrust. 0-1 years.
  2. Autonomy vs shame. 1-3 years.
  3. Initiative vs guilt. 3-6 years.
  4. Industry vs inferiority. 6-12 years.
  5. Identity vs role confusion. 12-18 years.
  6. Intimacy vs isolation. 18-40 years.
  7. Generativity vs stagnation. 40-60 years
  8. Integrity vs despair. 60 years onwards.

Have a look at trust vs mistrust, for example. If the infant’s needs are met consistently then they learn to trust their parents and through that trust the world. If that doesn’t happen they have mistrust for the world.

…Yay, psychology…

4 Likes

I’ve seen some of Erik’s YouTube videos, but I don’t know much about him professionally. Maybe I will do some more research!

I’m not sure if I buy those early childhood categories, though. OR, I’m not sure that I buy that any one of these could be correlated to a specific age. I had a fairly good childhood up until about 6-7 years old, when my parent’s relationship started to fall apart. I didn’t develop problems around trust and security until I was into my teenage years, when it was natural for me to take on more independence, but my father became overbearing and emotionally abusive by actively isolating me and preventing me from developing friendships. That was a much more defining “trust-mistrust” and “autonomy-shame” period in my life. I’d say my young adulthood, from about 22 till… Basically now, lol, has been more about initiative-guilt (school and workplace) and intimacy-isolation (near divorce experience). I feel like I would move into “industry-inferiority” after I graduate college, because that will be a time that answers the question, was this education investment worth it?

Of course, I’m just assuming what these categories mean based on only their titles, so I’m probably full of it right now.

:woman_shrugging: Human development is really complicated/tricky, especially childhood development, since children are notoriously terrible at explaining their motives and ideas. :joy:

3 Likes

I do recommend searching it up. Between Piaget, Kohlberg, and Erikson, three theorists I learnt about recently, I thought Erikson’s stuff was the most interesting. All of them were pretty interesting, though.

…Oh yeah, almost forgot about Bandura. :laughing:
His stuff was also interesting, but I keep forgetting it because it was the only one that didn’t have a table to memorise.

1 Like

Mine is ENTP, which in some ways fits me for much of my life. The extroversion not so much though. Thats more of an active thing, lots of personal growth and boundary pushing to get me to where i want to be. Not only is it not set in stone, but it is something we can actively work on to improve ourselves if we wish. Hard work is always the answer.

ISTP here, which sounds about right.

Introvert(12%) iNtuitive(41%) Feeling(81%) Perceiving(31%)
You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (12%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
You have strong preference of Feeling over Thinking (81%)
You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (31%)

1 Like

I have been INTJ every time I’ve been tested ( I am now 32). In versions of the test, my traits all are close to the middle except introversion. It wasn’t until more recently that I had heard about results changing for people over time.

ENTJ this time. The “reason” part doesn’t change.

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(19%) Thinking(31%) Judging(3%)
You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (19%) - What’s the difference?
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (31%)
You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (3%)

I always get ENFP! I was so shocked when I first got it, until I realized that they’re an extrovert that needs a lot of recharging. I always thought I was an introvert, even though if you get me in the right social situation (aka something/someone interesting or stimulating) I got so energized so fast! Theeeen I crash and need to recharge with a video game or something :laughing: The other aspects tend to fit me very well too, and I can see how it fits my ADHD. People and good causes energize me, and I’ll go off on a tangent about the greater good. I shut down around inauthentic people.

3 Likes

@whimchimes I was reading recently that ENFPs are the most introverted of the extrrovert MBTI types, which makes a lot of sense in that I get depressed and drained if I’m alone for too long, but I also need times to be by myself and process things.

3 Likes

So many INFPs! Including me!

@Rachel_Reesaw Sensing would be considered taking in and immediately responding to your environment based on your gut feeling/first reaction. Intuition would be taking in as much information as possible, processing it/thinking about it for a while, and coming to a structured conclusion. I’m an INFJ, and my “main function” is introverted intuition. I think about new ideas or suggestions A LOT before I bring them up to people in my life, and ask people to poke holes in my ideas. My husband is an ISFP, and he is strong in extraverted sensing - he’s way more reactive to the environment than I am!

For example, when there’s a cat fight in our house, his first instinct is to chase the cats down and break it up, and he’s there in an instant. My first instinct is “Why is this happening?!” and then “Well, somebody will win eventually,” and I just keep doing the dishes. :joy:

1 Like

Ohh! Thank you! Yeah, I have always thought “like a scientist” so I tend to think about things maybe too deep. Like, this I see for fun because personalities change but then I think on it too much and then people don’t like what I say. But this is fun! If for nothing else.