Why do we do the things that we don't want to do and just can't get started on the things we really want to do?

1. We wake up and want to study(even though we chose our field and loved doing it) yet we do things like mindlessly browing instagram.

2. We really like some sport activity and want to do yet instead can’t leave blanket.

3. Rarely we want to watch some movie but can’t even watch that even it does excites us.

So many more things that we really want to yet are doing the things that are no where in our want list, leave aside the things we should and need to do.
If you think of it, it’s not that bad to not do the things we should do. Maybe we don’t like to do them. But, not able to do things we like and want to do?
Brings out the question, how much do we really have control over ourselves. And, can we really blame us if we are not even able to do things that we want?

Reason this is tagged in toolbox:

I want to know from you guys can we create interrupted thoughts or some sort of stretegy to let us know when we are mindlessly doing things, that we don’t want to do this? Or, that there is something else that we want to do?

2 Likes

My first thought is, see Wall of Awful. Why Is It So Hard to Do Something That Should Be Easy? - YouTube

I know this isn’t exactly your question – the Wall of Awful arises for all easy things, whether or not they are highly desired things – but it’s very close to a good answer.

My second thought is, we do those things that have instant dopamine. Instagram is quick click-bait. I would love to work out more. I just don’t START doing it. It always feels great, but somehow I prefer doing the idle things, like sitting here browsing the dang forums! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Third would be that we’re stuck in the well-worn pathways of habit, or worse (such as, self-limiting beliefs, or even addiction).

1 Like

@Ancloas , I thought of some ideas that may help you.

1. Put your phone with the study materials. (If you need an alarm to help you wake up, then get an alarm clock to put beside your bed.)

1-3: Perhaps you can use social motivation. If you keep commitments to others better than you keep commitments to yourself, then find someone that you can schedule time with. For studying, “study buddy” or study group. For sport activity, schedule time with friends who play the same sport, or join an athletic class or sports club. For movie, schedule time with a friend to watch the movie (perhaps not even together… Maybe schedule time to talk about the movie, so you will be more motivated to watch it when you have free time).

“accountability partner”