Worried about Employment

I’ve been very lucky that my ADHD has not prevented me from being successful in my school career or with my strong drive and motivation. I have a Master’s in Marine Biology. However, my drive is now causing me a lot of anxiety. I haven’t been able to gain a job in my field and recently I have been feeling like a failure.

My family and friends sometimes say I have too much drive and I want things to be done yesterday. I am really struggling to keep going with finding a job or an internship. I take each job rejection personally and I can’t emotionally take it anymore. I am not the one to give up but I don’t what I am going to do if I never find a job in my field. I feel like I wasted a good chunck of my life on a dream that will not come true.

I’m going through the same thing! I have been looking for internships for almost two years! And I haven’t found a single one yet. I had one interview, but nothing yet. I asked a few other people at school how they managed to get a job and said to just apply to every single internship and job you could find, other architecture students were applying for around 40-50 internships per week, and sometimes they found one, sometimes not. But you aren’t the only one having trouble finding a job. I tend to take rejection hard too, its discouraging when they say not, but I keep trying. Some days its easier than others, but just keep trying! Maybe you can ask your professors for quick advice, or find someone who will look over your resume, just keep trying to make yourself look great and I’m sure you will find one soon!
Good Luck! You got this!!!

1 Like

It can be really hard to find a job in your field, and I imagine it must be hard in such a specialty field like Marine Biology. Have you had jobs in the field before? If so, did you end up leaving those by choice or for other reasons?

There’s the saying “It’s always easier to get a job when you have a job.” I’ve found this true for me in the past. I’ll take a job I don’t want or that’s not related to my field or skills, but then I’ll still look for something that I do want. Sometimes the act of working and staying engaged helps keep the motivation going, and also helps remind us of what we really want or don’t want. Sometimes too it can be that we’re not looking for what we really want or need. I think Dr. Hallowell says it well when he says that part of ADHD success is finding the right job and the right partner. Find something that you your’e good at, that you like doing, and that someone will pay you for.

What are you good at? What do you like doing? Why do you like doing it? What can you tolerate doing forever? What can’t you tolerate? Maybe there are skills you already have from your field or your career that can be parlayed into another position. I know lots of people with degrees like social work who end up working in corporate jobs, administration, or other fields. Sometimes the skills are much more important than the title or the business card.

Mostly, try not to lose hope. Job searching is the absolute worst. It can break you down in terrible ways. Just know that it takes time, and try to believe when people say “the right thing will happen.” It takes a while for the stars to align sometimes, but they definitely can. I’ll be hoping for you! Good luck!