Zone out after social events

Question. I’ve noticed lately that after events involving people I zone out. It’s not low energy (except after hikes with friends) it’s like I can’t focus or don’t want to.

Some recent examples: job interview yesterday - wasn’t too stressful, think I did well, but just zoned out doing none of the things I had to do. After sessions with my counselor - zone out rest of the day. Go hang out with friends earlier in the day - zone out.

Yeah, some of it can be attributed to too much exercise outdoors (sun, even if using sunscreen supercharges me). I’ve not noticed this before.

Now some background - I’m out of work, looking for jobs, slight depression but (as per my counselor) I’m way superpositive compared to the average person in my situation. So interacting with people for an extended period besides people in shops doesn’t happen that often for me since I got laid off from my last job in January. I never really experienced this before. Thoughts? Sometimes I try to schedule these events in the evening so if I’m zoned out, well, I’m going to bed anyhow, but for the times I can’t, I feel like “**** there’s another day wasted.”

Anyone else have this problem?

Most people who are introverts have this issue where being social really drains the energy from you. Its hard being out and having so much stimulation input from lights, sounds and conversation that you have to go home and do nothing to recharge yourself.

1 Like

I experience something like this. I currently describe myself as an introvert, but I wasn’t always one. I also have a long history of depression but it’s partially managed. When I’m interacting with people I usually feel like I have to “turn it on”, for lack of a better phrase. And then afterward it feels like I’ve overdone things, pushed too hard, and my energy and motivation crash.

I’m not sure what to do about it, but maybe other folks will have suggestions. I have approaches I often use, but I’ve really been doubting that they are good ones. Mostly I limit and really spread out social tasks. Short term it somewhat helps, but long term it either doesn’t change anything or possibly makes things worse.

2 Likes

I’m not an introvert. But I am dealing with depression. These were good replies as I think because I’m out of work/working from home most of the time, it’s just information overload at a level I’m no longer receiving, and it emulates what an introvert feels. Plus when I’m with someone, I think I “turn it on” at doggo levels (OHGOD I LOVE YOU I - squirrel - WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND even if on the outside I’m calm and interacting with friends at a normal level). I have found that meditation (or even the 20 minute “disco nap”) helps so far. Also if I planned to do anything creative that day, sometimes I move it to right after said event as it helps regain focus. Creative or just household tasks I should also add. Good to know I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that. I call it my ‘on’ and ‘off’ states. (Or sometimes I call my staring into the abyss when I should be working my ‘off’ state. Depends on the challenge I need to be ‘on’ for.)

I just spent a week at a summer camp with creative people, lots of workshops and ‘fun’ events and did I mention people? Going in, I was afraid there wouldn’t be much time to recharge and that I’d overload at some point but everybody took some time off every now and then, mostly for lack of sleep. I think they hardly noticed that I took more and longer breaks.

2 Likes

I’m an introvert, and I definitely feel a sense of “social burnout” after a lot of social events. But I don’t know how much is a result of ADD and how much is a result of just being a natural introvert. I have a coworker who is a huge extrovert, and every time she is at a social event, she seems to get a recharge of energy, while I am getting slowly sapped of my energy!

Isn’t it interesting how different people (ADD or not) are designed, with different personalities?!

2 Likes